Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

can you use Nikon and Leica lenses on K5

Does anyone know if I can use a Nikon digital 12-24 mm zoom and a Leica 35 mm Summicron on the Pentax K5? I've heard of folks using adapter mounts to use Nikon lenses on other camera bodies. Where can we buy them? B&H?

11-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Nikon digital 12-24 wouldn't adapt well to Pentax. There are adapters with a glass element in them, but the image quality isn't said to be that good and I'm not sure they'd even work with a digital ultra-wide (I've only seen older manual focus lenses tried on them). No adapter would give you autofocus.

Better to go with the Pentax 12-24!

There are adapters for Canon cameras for Leica R lenses and Nikon F lenses that are non-destructive (don't require you to take lenses apart) and don't have glass elements (don't degrade image quality). If you have Nikon and Leica lenses, Canon might be a good option for you.

I've adapted a couple Leica R lenses to Pentax using a replacement mount from eBay, like this one:
Leica R Lens To Pentax PK Mount Adapter on eBay.ca (item 270584931076 end time 22-Nov-10 22:42:45 EST)

Just search for "leica pentax" and you'll find them.

There's also the original:
leitax.com

Search the forums here for leitax and you'll see some examples.
11-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Leitax adapter

You should look into the leitax adapter. Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax I purchased one for my 400 telyt 6.8, it works great. They are made in spain and will focus to infinity. There is an EM address on this site. The man's name is David.

John Wiggs
11-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I had success force-mounting Nikon pre-Ai, Ai, AF to my K-x. AF (D) lenses will focus past infinity though (better than can't reach infinity!).

Have not tried DX lenses though..

11-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a version 1 summicron-r 35mm adapted and use it on the K20D. Shouldn't be any different on a K-5. Use Leitax adapters since Leitax give fantastic support both on the website and in the email.
11-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is the Nikon 12-24mm a "G" lens? In other words, does it have an aperture ring?

If it does not have an aperture ring, even if you could mount it on to a Pentax body, you'd have no way to control the aperture of the lens, even with an adapter. The aperture will always be at the smallest.
11-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
The Nikon 12-24 mm is a "G" lens, DX ED AF-S. It was highly rated by Thom Hogan. I'm hoping I can use it on the K5 so I don't have to spend more money buying more lenses! Can I use a Nikon-to-Pentax mount? I also have a manual Nikon 24mm 2.8 Al lens which I like--same question. How would that compare to the Pentax 21mm limited apart from smaller size?
11-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About the 35 'Cron...make sure it's a R lens (e.g. Leica SLR) and not an M lens (e.g. Leica Rangefinder). If it is, Leitax would seem to be the best option there. If it's an M, you'll have to get an M8/M9 or an EVIL to use it digitally.

The 12-24 will be problematic even if you get it adapted. Because it's a G lens (Ken Rockwell calls them gelded), you won't be able to control the aperture on it. It'd be a lot easier to sell it and pick up a Pentax 12-24 which should be in the same ballpark performance wise.

11-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
About the 35 'Cron...make sure it's a R lens (e.g. Leica SLR) and not an M lens (e.g. Leica Rangefinder). If it is, Leitax would seem to be the best option there. If it's an M, you'll have to get an M8/M9 or an EVIL to use it digitally.

The 12-24 will be problematic even if you get it adapted. Because it's a G lens (Ken Rockwell calls them gelded), you won't be able to control the aperture on it. It'd be a lot easier to sell it and pick up a Pentax 12-24 which should be in the same ballpark performance wise.
Hey, thanks lots for this clarification!