Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just Did my First Lens Repair

About a month ago I bought a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 lens off ebay. The seller said the aperture ring was stuck in the "A" position. I planned to only use it in the "A" position so I bought it because it was a good deal. When I got it I was curious why it was stuck so I opened it up and found a wire holding together the aperture ring so it was stuck in a. I cut the wire and found the aperture ring was completely loose and would not lock into the different aperture positions. I put a new wire back and left it like that. I'm about to purchase some extension tubes and I realized I can't use this lens with them unless I fix the aperture ring. So I opened it up again and saw that at the place in the aperture ring where the indentations were, the little piece of metal that was supposed to go into the indentations did not reach. Even if I bent it, it would not be able to reach . I realized that if I broke off a little piece of plastic and then I bent the little piece of metal, it would reach. Then I put some glue so it wouldn't come loose and I put it back together. I have no idea how it came to be broken but it was actually a simple fix. One weird thing is that the little black button by the "A" does absolutely nothing and it presses against solid plastic. On my Pentax A 50mm lens you have to press it to get in and out of the A position. But I guess Vivitar put it there as a decoration? Anyway I thought this could be useful to someone as I've seen at least one other Vivitar lens on ebay that's supposedly stuck on the a position.

11-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know this particular lens, but normally the aperture ring positions are realised with a small spring-loaded metal ball. When disassembling the metal ball easily gets lost as it jumps out of its position and is really tiny.

Glad you got your lens to work again but maybe the correct way to fix it would have been to find and put in a replacement ball.