Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some SWEET Lenses & One FUGLY P3!

I can't believe I just did this, but I just completely killed what was left in Hello Kitty bank after our computer repairs to grab these on auction. Ish, I am so freaking broke now!

Pentax P3 camera

(I actually don't want this FUGLY plastic camera at all! I know. It's a perfectly lovely camera in terms of what it can do and it's not it's fault it was designed to look like a rinky dinky Tonka toy truck, but you know what? I just can't get past it. I think these P series cameras are hideous! If it works? This camera is going somewhere else very soon! I don't care if it's a great camera it completely offends my personal sense of aesthetics just looking at the thing!)

Five Star 35-75mm lens 1:3.5-4.8

(Bottom of the barrel lens from what I can tell, but it's *ist compatible, no adapter necessary, so whatever, I'll try it out I guess. Probably it will go off with the FUGLY P3, but we'll see.)

Vivitar 70-300mm lens 1:4.2-5.8

(This one I wanted in K-mount. I already have one of these in C/Y and I really like it. I jumped when I saw that this one was likely the K-mount version in good condition. I'm going to have lots of fun with this one!)

Pentax A 50MM 1:1.7

I have several people on this forum to thank for me grabbing this one. Probably some of them were bidding against me just now (Sorry!) to do so, but I've been contemplating a 50MM K-mount prime for a while now and the pictures I've seen here, the praise I read concerning this particular 50MM lens just made me decide to go for it even if it did mean waiting a bit longer to grab an M42 to K mount adapter.

That's it though for me for the rest of the year.

Poor Hello Kitty her little plastic belly is empty!

11-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Poor Kitty, I'm sure she'll take it bravely given the worthy purpose :-)
11-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Actually due the modest range and slowish max aperture the five star zoom is actually quite good even wide open. I used to own one and didn't find any problems with the IQ.
11-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool. I might actually use the thing then. My Tamron is pretty good in that mid range. It's the farther end of the zoom I'm not too crazy about, but I'll give it a go and shoot with it and see what happens. I'm really looking forward to seeing what that 50MM can do though. It's the same lens as the Nifty Fifty traveler, I think. I've really liked some of the shots I've seen in that thread. Plus Vivitar 75-300, win-win scenario. That's a really nice lens in C/Y mount. I am very happy to have one in K-mount now. I'm betting I won't use my Tamron 28-200MM half as much now that I have these.