Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #1

Buying a new Lens in Canada?

For those of you buying a new lens in Canada and your dealer price matches, check out Aden Camera. (Aden Camera)

I will be going to Mcbain Camera in Edmonton to buy the 77mm limited. It is listed there for $999.95. They will price match Aden's $789.99 CAD.

Also, I bought the 16-50mm star lens last week at Mcbains for $999 now I will get them to price match Aden's who has it listed at $920.

Let me know if you find a cheaper price listed in Canada. Finding the cheapest price on gear is almost better then taking pictures. (Call me a gear junkie)

11-17-2010, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

try prodigital2000 on ebay and robinsons camera, one in alberta on ontario. both foto source members, best prices I have found even better than US. prodigital increases prices with demand and as stock goes though...

I bought my k-r from robinsons and two tamron lenses from prodigital
11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
try prodigital2000 on ebay and robinsons camera, one in alberta on ontario. both foto source members, best prices I have found even better than US. prodigital increases prices with demand and as stock goes though...

I bought my k-r from robinsons and two tamron lenses from prodigital
Thanks Deimos. Prodigital definitely has some great prices. I think I will return the 16-50mm Lens to Mcbains and buy it from Prodigital.

I do like Robinsons, but they don't always keep their website updated. I had a digital compact camera price matched through them awhile ago.
11-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prodigital, aden and dunn and rundle in vancouver all have some pretty good pricing ( Dunn currently has the cheapest price i've seen on a k5 anywhere not just canada $1429

11-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Does Prodigital ship from the states? Do their items come with a pentax canada 2 year warrenty? or do they get their items from the states? Does UPS charge border fees on top of the free shipping?
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #6

How about B&H Photo? They recently introduce Purolator shipping option which is pretty cheap. You only pay GST/HST/PST taxes for your respective province. No extra duty or brokerage fees.
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Babbs Quote
Does Prodigital ship from the states? Do their items come with a pentax canada 2 year warrenty? or do they get their items from the states? Does UPS charge border fees on top of the free shipping?
As far as I have seen with what I ordered, its all canadian with canadian warrantys they are located in smalltown ontario part of foto source

11-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tennoh Quote
How about B&H Photo? They recently introduce Purolator shipping option which is pretty cheap. You only pay GST/HST/PST taxes for your respective province. No extra duty or brokerage fees.
B&H can be good. There are duties on some items using purolator. I just ordered a compact lumix for a gift for xmas, $199 plus hst and .50 cent fee, no duties. The 40mm ltd has $30 of duties on it plus hst for some reason.

but this is a great option, the compact was $60 cheaper at b&h than anywhere in canada!
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Babbs Quote
No, "Prodigital" and "1-2-3 Easy Ship" on Ebay are both Carmen's Photo which is located in Stratford, Ontario (about 30 mins West of Kitchener/Waterloo). The items they sell are shipped from Stratford, come with Canadian warranties (and sometimes extended MACK warranties too), and you will not incur customs charges (unless you don't live in Canada).

Hope this helps.

c[_]
11-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Look here
Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL IF SDM - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
Choose your province . Price here include everything
I bought from Newegg.ca my K-X but not my k-5
<
11-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
B&H can be good. There are duties on some items using purolator. I just ordered a compact lumix for a gift for xmas, $199 plus hst and .50 cent fee, no duties. The 40mm ltd has $30 of duties on it plus hst for some reason.
I'm pretty sure camera gear is supposed to be duty-free - I've paid HST on US purchases, but never duties.

I got a DA70 Ltd. from Aden for $399. It took over a month, but it arrived. No one local would price match, saying it was below cost.
11-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
Mcbain told me they will price match Aden but will also include the total with shipping charges.

Still a good price.
11-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Aden can be pretty aggressive. they don't always have the stock, and on bodies they aren't always the best (or for that matter do they even have them)
Camera Equipment is Duty Free (we have no domestic industry to protect since they stopped making leica here decades ago) You will get nailed for HST, and if it is through a courier probably a brokerage fee. If it is coming USPS you may even avoid the HST on lower price items (I've had 3 shipments recently that Canada post didn't assess the HST on 2 rangefinders from Russia and a whack of film from freestyle photo)
11-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Aden can be pretty aggressive. they don't always have the stock, and on bodies they aren't always the best (or for that matter do they even have them)
Camera Equipment is Duty Free (we have no domestic industry to protect since they stopped making leica here decades ago) You will get nailed for HST, and if it is through a courier probably a brokerage fee. If it is coming USPS you may even avoid the HST on lower price items (I've had 3 shipments recently that Canada post didn't assess the HST on 2 rangefinders from Russia and a whack of film from freestyle photo)
40 ltd from b&h added about 10% ~$30 in duties charges to canada, so some stuff still gets duties added. still works out to be cheaper than canada for many items
11-18-2010, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I just looked at the CBSA document on lenses you should not have been charged any duty. the carrier may have charged a brokerage fee that is nothing to do with duty (always opt for usps if you have the option, canada post seems to be very good at this end)
If you were specifically charge a tarif rate question it and explain that tarif for lenses for photography if termed free under schedule XVIII (Can you tell I'm a Purchaser for a living)

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2004/t2004-3/ch90ne.pdf