Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shopping for Camera and Lenses

My wife is a current K1000 owner and I am a point and shoot guy. We looking to buy our first DSLR. We have narrowed our choices to the Pentax K-5, Nikon D7000 and Canon 60D.

My question is on lenses. We will be shooting mostly kids sports, volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball and swimming. Currently all are either indoors or daytime but night time football is possible in the future. She has a few older 3rd party lenses, but not enough of an investment that would lock us into one brand or another.

What type of lense or lenses would be recommended. We want good shots but don't want to break the bank. Thanks in advance.

11-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
:moving: to the Lens forum.
11-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Old lenses generally perform a bit better on a new DSLR camera then they did on film due to the crop factor.

the crop factor for old (made for film) lenses will be 1.5 on the Pentax DSLR cameras. so an old 50mm will be the same as a new 75mm lens.

If you don't want to spend a bunch of money on lenses to start out with, the Samsung D-Xenon 18-55 is supposed to be slightly better than the Pentax 18-55 kit lens... At least it was this way when the K-7 first came out.

The Pentax-F SMC 70-210 f4-5.6 is a very nice lens to pick up as well if you can snag one for a good price (made for film so will be 105-315).

And if you really want something to fill the gap between the 18-55 and the "105-315", the Pentax-F SMC 28-80 f3.5-4.5 (42-120 on DSLR) is a pretty good lens as well. I actually have the older version of the 28-80 lens... the Takumar-F 28-80 (non SMC) and it takes pretty good pictures, but the SMC lenses do give you better pictures.

Ebay is your friend.

You will also want to look at lens reviews before purchasing any lens.

Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

If the lens you are interested isn't in the review section here, a google search should turn up something.
11-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The question is what size lens are you willing to carry? All three brands will have compatible 70-200mm f2.8 lenses. I personally shoot my kids games with the pentax 50-135mm f2.8 lens, its much smaller in size. [These lenses get pretty heavy if you have to carry it around the field...] Its not the fastest in auto-focus per other forum members but good enough for my needs. its major drawback is cost...

I dont have any experience with canon/nikon but most people think that the auto focus speed and especially the continuous focus is better on the canon or nikon. I do have the k5 but not sure how much better the other brands are. I only purchased the k5 recently, so I shot my kids sports with an older k2000 pentax and it worked well with adequate lighting. I got the k5 to use for low/bad light for my daughters dance recitals. But am waiting to use it for those situations.