Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #61
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Multi-segment metering is supposed to be available only with A lenses and later (with the aperture ring in the A-position). It seems to work this way on my k-x: with an A28 & aperture ring @A I can select and use it, powering off, setting aperture to position other than A and powering on I just have spot and CW available. Have you maybe shorted some mount pins for CIF?
Never did anything with shorting out, and for all of my Taks in M mode and set to the M position, I have 5 and 11 point metering available in the menu.

11-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Never did anything with shorting out, and for all of my Taks in M mode and set to the M position, I have 5 and 11 point metering available in the menu.
5, 11 [and center] sound like the choices for AF points?
11-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure the camera just defaults to center even if it says matrix... at least on my k20d. Often times I find I can't really tell the difference... I often prefer center weighted anyways.
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Use just strictly manual lenses with a digital body? If so, why? Just curious. I'm seriously thinking of selling my digital lens if my non-digital K mount set works out. It's a good lens but I'm just not bonding with the Tamron 28-200MM I have. I think I'll prefer the older non-digital lenses actually. I like the convenience of a digital body, but the digital lens thing, maybe not so much.
MF is easy to collect, use and then keep or resell. It has allowed me to try many prime lenses I would never consider purchasing in AF due to price.

In a short period of time I have learned a lot about my camera and how the lenses behave.

Most recently I am using a 180 2.8 for portraits and am really enjoying the bokeh from the longer focal length.

I do not count infocus keepers versus out of focus. I think I would do better with an AF lens on that score.

I do count images that I like and for that MF and a wide selection of inexpensive primes wins hands down over a smaller collection of AF.

MF are fun to use, fun to collect and fun to learn about.

This was one of the first photos taken with the 180. The lens arrived on Friday and this was taken the next day during a rare snow in our neighborhood.

11-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Are you impressed with the DA 15mm because of its build and performance? Or are you impressed with it because there isn't a comparable MF prime (performance wise) available at a fraction of the cost?

I said performance and build and I meant performance and build. The lens is priced appropriately, in my opinion.

Steve

BTW...I own the high performance, lower priced alternative. See my sig...
11-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #66

Photos: Albums
I like my manuals. 16,28,35,50.85 and 135. I have the 18-55 , a DA40 and an F35-70. I like these too and use them when needed. My collection has been built on economics. I doubt that I will ever afford the AF lenses, but I am more than happy with what I've got. The enjoyment I derive from the manual lenses is in the slowing of my thought and consideration of what's happening, of what I'm doing. I take more care and am sometimes rewarded for this approach.
11-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I think the whole digitally optimised lens is just another buzzword. I have yet to see any conclusive proof that a lens designed for digital actually performs any better than a lens that isn't*. I use the FA limiteds which apparently were not designed for digital**

the only time where I have encountered a problem between a camera and a specific lens was when I was getting some pretty bad ghosting from the K 50mm f/1.2 but even that was easily resolved because the ghosting was only appearing as red glows in parts of the image where there were no light sources, it was easily cloned out.

*A comparison between DA*55mm f/1.4 Vs K 55mm f/1.8 could be interesting.

** in 2006 Ned Bunnell postulated that the FA31mm f/1.8 wouldn't be good enough for higher resolution digital sensors, he was more optimistic about the FA77 though.
11-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the only time where I have encountered a problem between a camera and a specific lens was when I was getting some pretty bad ghosting from the K 50mm f/1.2 but even that was easily resolved because the ghosting was only appearing as red glows in parts of the image where there were no light sources, it was easily cloned out.
it is my impression that the designed for digital thing mostly has to do with a slightly different design to better control flares. apparently , digital sensors are more reflective than film, and that changes the dynamic a little.

I simply don't know for sure, but it does seem that my digital lenses (even the kit lens) flare less than my film lenses in extreme situations. Not really a huge consideration, though.

11-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
digital sensors are more reflective than film
That may be true, but I suspect the hot mirror had more to do with the ghosting than the sensor did. I wonder if Pentax are applying the same coatings to the filters in front of the sensor as well as their lenses?
11-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If I'm not mistaken Ira, you are using the K-x.. You camera is likely defaulting to Center Weighted regardless of what you select, unless you are using Spot metering.

This is true of All of the Pentax dSLRs if I'm (again) not mistaken when used with anything other than an A type (auto aperture) lens.

Attached Images

11-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #71
Veteran Member

The mention of the work of Ansel Adams is interesting. A significant challenge would be for anyone to surpass the image quality of his photographs. Firstly, a landscape photographer setting out to duplicate his work by using large format gear would be shooting with lens technology that is advanced compared to that of 90 years ago but not significantly so. Lens coatings aside there just haven't been leaps in technology for LF landscape lenses, rightfully so.

Secondly, using very small apertures for huge DOF points away from digital capture and toward film capture with small enlargement ratios. Just as digital capture doesn't do very low ISO's well it doesn't do very small apertures well, at least not the capture that is available to most of us.

Thirdly, Adams and his contemporaries took those impressive landscape shots not only without instant preview but also without light meters and huge surpluses of available shots. For many of his climbs in Yosemite Adams would pack 8 glass plates in his backpack only to find 2 or 3 of them had broken during his climbs. With that few shots available during a day's hike you either suffered from frustration or you developed a mastery of the technical side of photography.

And, finally, that issue of enlargement ratios itself points away from digital capture. I find digital capture to be very unforgiving of lens errors. A print of an image taken with a 90 year old lens on 8x10 B&W film and printed with a 2x enlargement ratio will look much better than a same-sized print of a similar shot taken with the highest of tech, modern computer designed, digital-specific lens on crop-factor digital capture.

If I ventured out with the goal of shooting images similar to those Ansel Adams shot (4 to 8 plates at a time) and printed I might very well choose the same gear he used. I purchased my K200D with the goal of continuing the use of my older manual focus lenses. Having my 18-55 as a backup should my wife want to use my camera is convenient.
11-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The mention of the work of Ansel Adams is interesting. A significant challenge would be for anyone to surpass the image quality of his photographs. Firstly, a landscape photographer setting out to duplicate his work by using large format gear would be shooting with lens technology that is advanced compared to that of 90 years ago but not significantly so. Lens coatings aside there just haven't been leaps in technology for LF landscape lenses, rightfully so.

Secondly, using very small apertures for huge DOF points away from digital capture and toward film capture with small enlargement ratios. Just as digital capture doesn't do very low ISO's well it doesn't do very small apertures well, at least not the capture that is available to most of us.

Thirdly, Adams and his contemporaries took those impressive landscape shots not only without instant preview but also without light meters and huge surpluses of available shots. For many of his climbs in Yosemite Adams would pack 8 glass plates in his backpack only to find 2 or 3 of them had broken during his climbs. With that few shots available during a day's hike you either suffered from frustration or you developed a mastery of the technical side of photography.

And, finally, that issue of enlargement ratios itself points away from digital capture. I find digital capture to be very unforgiving of lens errors. A print of an image taken with a 90 year old lens on 8x10 B&W film and printed with a 2x enlargement ratio will look much better than a same-sized print of a similar shot taken with the highest of tech, modern computer designed, digital-specific lens on crop-factor digital capture.

If I ventured out with the goal of shooting images similar to those Ansel Adams shot (4 to 8 plates at a time) and printed I might very well choose the same gear he used. I purchased my K200D with the goal of continuing the use of my older manual focus lenses. Having my 18-55 as a backup should my wife want to use my camera is convenient.
Well said, people forget that the larger the format the less need for lens sharpness compared to a DSLR. or for that matter speed from a DOF aspect. My 2.8 75mm on my 645 is giving about the same DOF as a 1.2-1.4 on a crop DSLR (and is therefore difficult to get a good focus on as well) I was reading about an adaptor for Bronica to Nikon on APUg this am and wondered why you would want one (I have fiddled with making use of a MF lens as a primitive tilt shift on my K10 but it's soft)