Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #1

Lens trade-off questions

Greetings all,

I have accumulated more lenses than I need and now want to get rid of some in order to acquire more fast lenses and primes, and I am having some trouble figuring out what to get rid of.

I like to keep 2 lens sets-- my good lenses, and a set that I am less concerned about destroying (skiing, traveling to dicey places, shooting in filth.....)

My 'good' lens set consists of:
Pentax, DA, 10-17, 3.5-4.5, Pentax , Da-al, 18-55, 3.5-5.6, To be upgraded to 16-50 f2.8
Pentax, DA* SDM, 50-135, 2.8,
Pentax, FA , 100-300, 4.7-5.8, Not a great lens but only coverage over 200
Tamron, SP-AF, 90 macro, 2.8

My 2nd lens set consists of:
Pentax, SMC-F, 35-70, 3.5-4.5
Pentax, SMC-F, 70-210, 4.5-6
Pentax, FA-IF AL, 28-200, 3.8-5.6

I also have some manual focus primes, including a sears 135 f2.8, an M 50 f/2 and A 50 f/2, as well as an old Tamron adaptall 200 3.5 that is manual.

Here are my questions:
do I get rid of the 28-200 3.8-5.6, OR the SMC-F, 35-70, 3.5-4.5 and 70-210?
are either of the options optically better than the other?

Next question:
how much difference will I see in getting a faster 50 (current one is 2), and what are the tradeoffs involved in going with an auto-focus FA 50 1.4 vs. a K 50 1.2?

I'm going to keep my sears lens, may trade my 50s for something faster in a 50 but can't decide if I should go auto focus or not and if I should work at getting a 1.2 or not.

Also, I have this huge, manual focus tamron adoptall 200 f/3.8. I bought it 2nd hand and haven't used i much but it seems t have decent reviews, so may just keep it though it is a beast.

If this were your lens kit, what would you do? (I am shooting a K7 but also have a K1000 that I sometimes shot hence I don't want to get rid of all my manual focus stuff).

Any thoughts?

11-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geek-girl Quote
Greetings all,
....snip....
Here are my questions:
do I get rid of the 28-200 3.8-5.6, OR the SMC-F, 35-70, 3.5-4.5 and 70-210?
are either of the options optically better than the other?

Next question:
how much difference will I see in getting a faster 50 (current one is 2), and what are the tradeoffs involved in going with an auto-focus FA 50 1.4 vs. a K 50 1.2?

I'm going to keep my sears lens, may trade my 50s for something faster in a 50 but can't decide if I should go auto focus or not and if I should work at getting a 1.2 or not.....

...snip....

Any thoughts?
Question one:
You do have a set of good zooms, that require changing when hitting 50/70mm area. What's the point of keeping another set? I'd just go with the super zoom and save the hassle....

Question two:
one (or 1.5 stops) in speed is noticable but mainly in OOF. The shallow DOF is desirable to some and not so (as I have recently learned) to others, personally I think K50/1.2 (and it's A cousin) is the best Pentax 50ish mm lens you can buy for money....
11-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The FA 100-300 is a very good lens, more than decent. You wouldn't get your money's worth by selling it.

The 28-200 is probably as good as your 35-70 and 70-210. None of these are stellar but a superzoom can be convenient.

The heavy 200 might be good, I don't know about it, but if it's heavy and you don't use it, then why keep it?

I personally have two 50s, one f1,7 and one macro. I wouldn't own another 50 just for the sake of it. f1,2 is necessary for some, a waste of money for others. It depends on you.

I perfer AF to ME but that's personal.

I tried, when building my kit, to avoid having duplicate purposes. For instance I have my two 50s, but they serve different purposes. I also have the Sigma 17-70 and the WR kit lens from Pentax. The WR gets used when conditions warrant it, when I go hiking/camping/snowshoeing, etc. Otherwise I use the Sigma at all times.

My DA21 serves with my 50 as a low light combo.

You see the drift. Make sure you have lenses covering your various photographic situations, and sell the rest. Then improve on your kit, if needed.
11-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I love my F 35-70 because it's small and light. I hike a lot and it makes a great walk around and also has close up/macro capability. The IQ is excellent although it appears cheap.

11-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

bdery, Youre DA21 is your low light? I guess you're in bed by 6pm, then, eh?

I have the M50 1.7, the FA50 1.4, and a Voigtlander Nokton. All three are (roughly) 50s, and they all have different looks. I love having the option of AF, but only get good low light success out of the K7 with the AF assist lamp. With the Kx, I usually have to manual focus in very low light, so I use the Nokton.

With that said, I would love an A50 1.2. Just look at Digitalis' photos from it.
11-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

Hi geek-girl - I don't have any of those lenses, so can't offer an opinion, but had to say hi to another S2S Pentaxian...
welcome!

Pete
Whistler/Pemberton BikeCo.
11-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

I agree with those who suggest that the superzoom might be the right backup/expendable lens; that is certainly one of the uses of mine.

How fast your 50 should be is largely a matter of taste and preferred use, but I observe that you are missing a prime with a "normal" FOV. How about the new 35/2.4? To me (and to some this is still heresy :-) )a normal prime in AF is more interesting than a faster 50. . .

Is your 200 the originally Adaptall or the Adaptall-2, that is, does it have the A setting? If it has the A, this is the lens I have been wanting to find as the "big old long glass" to stow away for the moments when I feel like I need a long prime . . .
11-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the lens trade off input

Hi all- thanks for your thoughts- I really appreciate it!

Probably will sell my m50 f/2; my 18-50 (as I'll upgrade it); and probably my 70-210 at least. Probably should shoot my 200 prime more. Will also start trying to acquire some newer primes, probably autofocus. Still on the fence about the 35-70-- as reeftool points out, it is small, light and has a macro-- all things handy for whistler in the summer.

Had been thinking about keeping the 28-200 as I have often used that and am having trouble getting used to having to switch lenses.....

Glad to hear my 100-300 got a good review- I haven't had it that long but have been pleased so far-- I got it before going and I wanted a longer lens-- it is certainly light.

Since no one had anything terrible to say about the autofocus primes, I probably will try to sell one of my manual focus 50s and maybe something else to get a newer autofocus prime (maybe the 35 f/2.4, for example). I suppose if I can pick up one of the 50 1.2s for a decent price I'd do that a sI like a shallow dof.....

One other question: I have been trying to figure out if I should go with the fast sigma or the fast pentax for the upgrade of my 18-55-- bdery uses a sigma-- any other views on this?

Re: my Adaptall
the 200 prime is the adaptall 2 with the A setting. It gets good reviews on the net, it is just so honking big...

11-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
BikeCoBoss/ Pete-

tried sending you a private message but couldn't as I am a new forum member. Let me know if you are interested in any of the lenses I am getting rid of. -GeekGirl (aka Whistler Wench in tele cyberspace)
11-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
bdery, Youre DA21 is your low light? I guess you're in bed by 6pm, then, eh?
With SR, at 21 mm, I can handhold at 1/15 seconds without second thoughts. And the DA21 can be used wide open. So yeah, it's perfectly suited for low light.

For the record, I'm from Quebec, thus French speaking, so the "eh" thing you americans have going doesn't really apply here :P
11-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

only one sobering thought here.

Assuming you somewhat plan to destroy your back up lens, by using it in risky situations, why not keep both the 28-200 and the other two zooms in your "2nd Set"?

since you consier them expendable, you won't get that much for them will you?

otherwise the 28-200 is in my opinion much more useable, since it is wider and also does not require changing lenses in situations where exposure to contamination for the sensor and internals of the camera is important
11-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
With SR, at 21 mm, I can handhold at 1/15 seconds without second thoughts. And the DA21 can be used wide open. So yeah, it's perfectly suited for low light.

For the record, I'm from Quebec, thus French speaking, so the "eh" thing you americans have going doesn't really apply here :P
It wasn't meant as a dig. I've only been to Canada once, but I've always had a tendancy to throw in the occassional "eh".
11-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yes, that has been one of my thoughts and indeed is part of how I ended up with so many lenses with overlapping functions.... I find I tend to use the 28-200 as it allows me to avoid lens swaps, but it is heavier than the 2 older lenses, which I tend to think of more as "rucksack" lenses. Might take them out tomorrow on the hill and see what they can deliver before getting rid of them.