Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Not so sure the intent of the reviews has ever been to provide a statistical comparison that can be graphed and analyzed.

To me, as a forum-based review section it's really just a compilation of opinions and impressions that may provide some personal insight for readers.

Most of the reviews I've added were of somewhat uncommon lenses that folks would like to know more about. My impressions have been offered as impressions not as tests or objective measures. The more rare the lens, the more important it is that somebody out there reports on it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
+1....

Ron, hope you are doing well!
+2 I guess.

Note I know I am behind in reviewing some of my unique glass, I really need to get to it.

11-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #152
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Not so sure the intent of the reviews has ever been to provide a statistical comparison that can be graphed and analyzed.

To me, as a forum-based review section it's really just a compilation of opinions and impressions that may provide some personal insight for readers.

Most of the reviews I've added were of somewhat uncommon lenses that folks would like to know more about. My impressions have been offered as impressions not as tests or objective measures. The more rare the lens, the more important it is that somebody out there reports on it.
Yes good points, only problem is that with ever-increasing pixel-peepers around measurebating, lens review database dissection to the atomic level is sure to occur.

There's a number there, let's analyse it.

Last edited by Ash; 11-25-2010 at 03:37 PM.
11-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Quote Originally posted by Ron Boggs Quote

Quote Originally posted by Marc Langille Quote
+1....

Ron, hope you are doing well!
+2 I guess.

Note I know I am behind in reviewing some of my unique glass, I really need to get to it.
I agree, good points.

Most of the time one can get a prof. review of the best of the modern lenses elsewhere. I suspect that most people on PF will use the database for lesser known/older lenses.
11-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
since there seems to be an overlap between reviews of popular lenses to that of less known lenses, why don't we propose to bring into attention to those who have certain less known lenses, to give their reviews and opinions of their lesser known lens. I don't think that a lens with more than 20 reviews needs more plugging or info that needs to be discussed.

maybe Adam could post a memo or request from the forum members to do their part?

as far as to those who don't own the lens but have tried them, might as well comment just to give a brief info about the lens and what to expect from the lens.

11-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #155

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Anyone who thinks two lenses that equally score 9 averages but differ greatly in market price are the same probably has little appreciation of what the more expensive lens can do, so the cheaper one would suffice for him/her quite fine. DA 55-300 currently at 8.95 vs. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II HSM currently at 8.58 - two totally different lenses at different price points despite overlapping focal ranges.
This is exactly my point.

Dividing up the scores between categories also sounds like a good idea.
11-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find the personal reviews interesting and very helpful but the pricing I think is harder to rely on. I think instead of a fixed common range for a lens maybe we should have a range there instead. Older lens prices can vary widely according to how well kept the lens is. I think the prices should reflect that more maybe. Other than that I tend to look at the grading system as a popularity thing, a general value according to how many people have reviewed a lens. I don't see that as written in stone. One person's 10 is always another's 8. I go by how many people are saying I like this one, and their reasons why. Also, when I see a lens that's getting a great rating from a lot of people I always go onto the forum and check out people posting their pictures and talking about that lens. I figure the lens rating bit is a place to start, but the board and the comments about the lenses, the pics, that's where I need to do my follow up.
11-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #157
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Older lens prices can vary widely according to how well kept the lens is
This is so true. Maybe there needs to be a field indicating the general condition of the lens at the time of purchase? I paid a very low price for my Helios 44M, but spent several hours cleaning the tobacco residue from the body and lens surfaces before I was able to use it. It was so filthy, it was sticky to the touch. I also had to partially disassemble the lens to flush the old gummy grease residue from the focus mechanism before it would focus smoothly.

Steve
11-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #158
Site Supporter

I dunno, if I buy a lens for $20 and it performs much better than expected, I'm likely to rate it an 8 or 9. A $20 lens isn't really going to compare pixel for pixel with my A* 135/1.8, but the cash to value ratio may be substantially different.

One could argue that you could find a A* 400/2.8 for $100. If you do, you've just won the lottery. multiply the price by 10 and sell it to me.

11-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #159
Site Supporter

It's probably also worth noting that once you've been here for a while, you start to recognize the names, and also the quality of the reviews.

I'll give someone who's been shooting pro with the FA* 250-600 substantially more street cred than someone that bought one to keep it in a hermetically sealed case.
11-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #160
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the idea that all Pentax lenses should be rated on a scale where a Lomo/Holga type thing is at the bottom and a Leica is at the top...it will compress the range of ratings for Pentax lenses into a narrow band, which means there is little differentiation any more. Maybe relative to Nikon/Canon/Oly/Minolta glass makes more sense, as these are the realistic alternatives and competitor brands.

Also, in my opinion, rating a piece of glass relative to price, once the price is below the average price of a lens, doesn't make sense. Say beneath USD 50. I say this because I'd happily pay the average price of a lens rather than suffer any loss of IQ. Even if a lens was free, if there was a shade of a difference in IQ, I'd buy the averagely priced lens. Does this make sense?

Once a lens starts costing a lot relative to my other lenses, its got to be doing something pretty special to justify being in the kit bag. In this light, I am trying to sell my M85 as I cannot justify its expense relative to other bits of kit. Sure its a fast lens, but is it making that much of a difference to my photography? I think my kit would benefit from a better tripod head instead.