Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
a good flash is always indispensable under most circumstances, especially with the OP's dilemma. whether indoors or outdoors, it makes a lot of difference.

right now, I'm pretty much handicapped without a flash. my Metz went MIA and I'm quite short on the budget to get a new one. especially when the holidays is fast approaching, the urgency increases by the day. I hope I get one by the first week of December.
Be careful. If you buy a flash DON'T read strobist. Next thing you know you will have FBA, I now have 6 flash guns and more on the way.

11-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Definitely a great choice but I think the days are numbered to find one of these for less than $400, sale prices seem to be rising steadily.
I like my FA35/2 very much but I haven't seen one for less than $400 in a long time. In fact, they are more like $500 or $600 on Ebay. If I were in the market for a lens in that range and price today for use only on a DSLR, I think I'd go for the macro. I use the DFA 50/2.8 macro, which is another option in this range which picks up macro as well as being razor sharp. Last I looked, its used price was not quite as inflated as the FA35/2, because it is available new, but that may have changed.
11-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry guys, I made it an early night last night.

I might consider finding an A 50mm, I saw a few on ebay for around $50. That with a DAL 35mm seems like it should do the trick. My budget was $300 or so for this and I should be able to do both in that range.

I understand that the A 50 is MF and I think I'm OK with that so thanks for the idea.

As for flash, I will have to find a decent flash gun to use. With my Canon I picked up a decent, off brand E TTL flash. I will continue to use it but only as a slave type flash, I don't know that it would match with a Pentax, even in manual mode as the voltage may be different... I will research that as well.

Thanks guys for all of the tips. Sorry I didn't post my budget in the first post.
11-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm well aware of the new experiences through Macro. Problem is not everyone isc into it and you're comparing New (2.4) and Used (2.8 macro) prices - sort of unfair comparison. Also, I keep hearing that the Macro is great for Macro shots but soft for normal photographs.
Simply not true. The DA35 does quite nicely both close up and at distance. IMO, a great walk around lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Definitely a great choice but I think the days are numbered to find one of these for less than $400, sale prices seem to be rising steadily.
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I like my FA35/2 very much but I haven't seen one for less than $400 in a long time. In fact, they are more like $500 or $600 on Ebay.
The 3 most recent ones on ebay went for $300-$365. A little further back someone was willing to pay $395 for one. The FA35 gained cult status as soon as it went out of production. It's a nice lens and I'm on my second copy but I've never understood why it was Just a 35mm before it went OOP, and after, it was the greatest thing Pentax ever produced (with sometimes prices to match that status even before the 2009 price jump). The Asking price keeps going up but I don't see anyone paying it. There is a threshold that I don't think even the craziest most desperate buyer will cross. $400 seems to be it in most cases (there's always an exception ).

The both blow the budget however, so if the DA35 f2.4 is a workable solution, enjoy it and show us what it can do.

11-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Simply not true. The DA35 does quite nicely both close up and at distance. IMO, a great walk around lens.
I stand corrected.
11-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

With your budget, OP, you might want to look at a rubber diffuser for the on-board flash. It simply slips over the flash and turns the "bright and cold" look into something much softer. It's no replacement for a full flash, but the thing also only costs 30 bucks and should be fine for indoors as long as you aren't too far away from your subject.
11-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any place I can find some sample shots?

11-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I think you can go to just about any photo share site and search the lens.. Here are a few from mine.

Pentax DA35mm Limited - a set on Flickr

At Pbase

Pentax smc DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Here you can search any lens on any camera (results pulled from Flickr)..

Advanced Search

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/adv/?lens=12800&camera=none&perpage=30&focal_min...max=none&res=3

11-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Be careful. If you buy a flash DON'T read strobist. Next thing you know you will have FBA, I now have 6 flash guns and more on the way.
LOL ! atleast FBA is not as costly as LBA.
however, if we talk about general lighting setup, that would be a different story. :ugh:
11-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the links, the one above is awesome!
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The FA35 gained cult status as soon as it went out of production. It's a nice lens and I'm on my second copy but I've never understood why it was Just a 35mm before it went OOP, and after, it was the greatest thing Pentax ever produced (with sometimes prices to match that status even before the 2009 price jump). The Asking price keeps going up but I don't see anyone paying it. There is a threshold that I don't think even the craziest most desperate buyer will cross. $400 seems to be it in most cases (there's always an exception ).

IMO, the FA35 and the 35mm focal length was not that popular before. add the lack of owners, reviews and samples that lens can produce. so basically, it's relatively unknown. and who would want a lens without much background to base on?

in fact, when I first got my copy and did my research, there were only some limited talk about the lens except that a few owners say how sharp it was and look for it's review at photozone. I believe the lens only got a cult following more recently thru word of mouth and the increasing number of owner reviews. samples are still quite limited but some additions are made nonetheless. maybe we should start an FA35 lens Club and start posting images taken by the lens, eh?
11-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
maybe we should start an FA35 lens Club and start posting images taken by the lens, eh?
And then someone should slip in some DAL shots to see if we can tell the difference .
11-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think you are really looking for DA 35 limited -- a little out of your price range, but here is a great thread on it: .
11-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
And then someone should slip in some DAL shots to see if we can tell the difference .
or have it's own dedicated thread instead.
11-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

The 3 most recent ones on ebay went for $300-$365. A little further back someone was willing to pay $395 for one. The FA35 gained cult status as soon as it went out of production. It's a nice lens and I'm on my second copy but I've never understood why it was Just a 35mm before it went OOP, and after, it was the greatest thing Pentax ever produced (with sometimes prices to match that status even before the 2009 price jump). The Asking price keeps going up but I don't see anyone paying it. There is a threshold that I don't think even the craziest most desperate buyer will cross. $400 seems to be it in most cases (there's always an exception ). :
It has been quite a while since I saw an FA35 in an actual auction, but I'll take your word for it that some have gotten the lenses that cheaply. Right now, and the last time I looked a few weeks ago for another thread, there are only BIN sales. The cheapest prices are around $400 plus or minus, but most of the prices are north of $500. Pentax FA35mm items - Get great deals on Lenses Filters items on eBay.com! I don't know whether anyone is paying these prices, but I've been seeing them a lot.