Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA 35/2.4 AL vs CZJ 35/2.4

Hi! Once again I'm facing a choice. I'm about to buy 35mm lens and I need advice. What to choose, how does one compare to each other in terms of iq, usability, parameters, and price
I mainly use MF lenses and try to convince myself to AF. I'd be grateful for examples and thoughts.
Thanks

11-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the coming week I am planning to do a comparison of the CZJ 35/2.4, FA31lt, Leica Simmicron-R 35/2 and Leica Summilux-R 35/1.4. Don't have the DA 35/2.4, so it would be interesting to see how it fares against the old CZJ.
11-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer Can't wait to see the results. Unintentionally you've made all readers wait for Your test despite the fact that there are CJZ 35/2.4 and DA 35/2.4 AL owners among them.. I'm quite sure of that ;P
11-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #4

I'm thinking about picking up a 35mm in the near future, please share your results here!

11-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Daniel,

I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for your test results! That's quite a group!
11-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well there are some pics posted and some more to come! Will be interesting to hear what people think!
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi haystack....
i'd just purchased the new 35mm f2.4 (from prodigital in canada, for 199.99 u.s.)
and just had the chance to play with it a little..... can't compare it to any other pentax primes, because i've never owned one.... come to think of it, the only primes i've used are macro lenses...
here's a shot without any editing at all..............

i would highly recommend a lens hood for this prime.... will buy one asap....

here's others which i've edited...but only minor adjustments

this one at f8, iso 400, +0.3 ev......

my impressions... as in the first shot, without any editing.... pretty darn good edge to edge sharpness with good color rendition..... and for an auto 35mm prime for 200 bucks u.s....
excellent value.......
dave m
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hi haystack....
i'd just purchased the new 35mm f2.4 (from prodigital in canada, for 199.99 u.s.)
and just had the chance to play with it a little..... can't compare it to any other pentax primes, because i've never owned one.... come to think of it, the only primes i've used are macro lenses...
here's a shot without any editing at all..............

i would highly recommend a lens hood for this prime.... will buy one asap....

here's others which i've edited...but only minor adjustments

this one at f8, iso 400, +0.3 ev......

my impressions... as in the first shot, without any editing.... pretty darn good edge to edge sharpness with good color rendition..... and for an auto 35mm prime for 200 bucks u.s....
excellent value.......
dave m
Wow! This looks very promising... especially when it comes to iq/price factor. Watching such examples make me one step closer to buying that lens.

There is one more thing that came to my mind. Could anyone who read this thread provide me with an info ona price and a region, where You bought or seen CZJ 35/2.4? I need one more reason to make a decision and I'm asking You because in my country CZJ costs as much as new 35mm from Pentax.. and sometimes it costs even more.

Thanks!

11-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am finding the Zeiss to be a very nice lens. My guess is that the main thing between it and the new Pentax 35/2.4 will be the price and AF.
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by haystack Quote
Thanks for the answer Can't wait to see the results. Unintentionally you've made all readers wait for Your test despite the fact that there are CJZ 35/2.4 and DA 35/2.4 AL owners among them.. I'm quite sure of that ;P
Well, there haven't really been any comments on the thread.

So I am not sure there is much interest after all. (or is it all those hi-res pictures taking too long to load?)

In any case, I would summarise as follows (mind you I am a very inexperienced tester, there's bound to be some sample variation, so a big grain of salt):

1. All four are very sharp and they render very similarly (to my eye).
2. Summilux looks to be very sharp even in the corners wide open, but depth of field is of course very shallow at f1.4. So far it looks to be the sharpest of the lot with more 3-d feel.
3. The leicas are prone to flare.
4. 31ltd has more CA wide open.
5. Carl Zeiss is surprisingly good and also looks like an f2 lens, rather than f2.4.
6. I am finding it hard to get the focus right on the Summicron.

Last edited by DanielT74; 11-24-2010 at 07:09 PM.
11-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #11

The 35mm F2.4L is also my first Pentax Prime, but I'm quite happy with the limited playing with it I've had.

11-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Yesterday, I acquired a Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon *T in the MM or C/Y mount - an older lens in absolute mint condition - fantastic build - perfect optics. I just ordered the K mount conversion kit, also just finished exchanging emails with Eric to see if he could or would swap mounts for me (Yes, he can and will and has done 1 already) - as I did not want to muff the conversion myself. So hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have the lens on my K20 and am interested to do a side by side comparison with my 31. Really interested in seeing the difference in color rendering between the lenses. I have some shots up in Sedona that I want to try.

So, it may not be the current ZK model, f2 lens, but I will not have spent $1,300 either...... There are ways in staying within budget.

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-25-2010 at 10:12 AM.
11-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ok, let me begin with prices..
I found DA 35/2.4 AL for ~234USD and CZJ 35/2.4(mint condition) for ~180USD. Now I have a dilema whether to buy a Pentax or hunt for CZJ.. Can you please help? What do you think of prices I found? Cheap? Good price? Overpriced?
11-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by haystack Quote
Ok, let me begin with prices..
I found DA 35/2.4 AL for ~234USD and CZJ 35/2.4 (mint condition) for ~180USD. Now I have a dilema whether to buy a Pentax or hunt for CZJ.. Can you please help? What do you think of prices I found? Cheap? Good price? Overpriced?
I happened across a mint unit on Craigslist that was local. Mint condition for $275 - and doing some comparison over the last couple of days, $350-$400 would be a good price especially for the condition. The K mount kit ran $92 and change, bringing the total up to $367. Now, I can do the conversion myself, or I can hire it to be done. The lens is in too good of shape for me to experiment with. I have used a local shop before that does camera repair (Hasselblad, Canon and Nikon, etc.), and I have asked Eric for an estimate. On this right now, your guess is as good as mine.

From what I have seen the CZJ 35/2.4 mint for ~$180 would be a reasonable price (evilbay has a low of ~$110 to $270 on completed auctions) (especially if it were in a M42 mount - it would be instantly usable - no conversion). The main difference between the two lenses would be a) the DA auto-focuses; b) does not need converting/adapter; and c) is an auto aperture lens. So in my view, it comes down to your personal preference - if there is no conversion involved, its a trade between all manual Zeiss glass vs all auto Pentax glass worth the $54 cost difference?What my post was oriented to was if someone was 1) wanting to try out Zeiss glass, possibly buying old and converting would provide about a $900 savings over buying a new Zeiss ZK model. Its a manual to manual, and similar build comparison, however the current lens is f2 vs f2.8 for the old glass. Also, if someone were looking for a similar to FA 31 Ltd glass, the CZ is comparable in lens quality, build and IQ, however it is manual and not AF, nor auto aperture. So lets round everything up to say $500 for the old lens, $700 to $800 for a used 31 and $1,300 new (Amazon). So, there is about a $200 savings for giving up AF and auto aperture, and a bit of lens speed, but getting Zeiss glass (on a used vs used basis).

It all comes down to what you want to do.

Also, I did a quick lookup - CZJ or Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 is slightly different than a Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/2.8 T*. I am by no means an expert on this. There may be conversion differences. I corresponding with Eric on this, he did a conversion on a lens that was suppose to be on the "list", but upon receiving it was not and he had to design his own conversion for the lens.

The reason why I took this flier, was I was NEVER going to be able to afford a Leica lens (at $2,000 to $4,000, my wife would have me committed to the rubberized room in a straight jacket), and this was something close that I had read about and it appeared to be doable - in that most of the risk (parts and design and conversion procedure were known) and it was directly comparable with the current lens model. It all came down to if I considered it to be economical. Right now, it looks like a break even. I will know better, when I take some pictures - not lab tests, just some plain old pictures and see what differences there actually is, side by side with the 31.
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hi! Yestarday I bought DA 35/2.4 AL at SrsMicrosystems. Before I made up my mind they let me play with it for a while with wide range od pentax dslrs from k-x to k-5.. but in the end I put it on my lovely k10d :> Works like a charm! and is really sharp Neither ff nor fb.. or my eyes+focusing screen failed.
Today I can't wait for a better weather to try it outside. Meanwhile my friends will have to live with my camera in front of their faces. If I find anything suitable for the audience, I will put it here.

Thanks for help and wish me luck hunting for CZJ 35/2.4 ;P