Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]I'm a little upset because I had the Zeiss 35mm for awhile (replacing my DA 35mm Limited), but I returned the Zeiss because of how much better the IQ of my Voightlander 58mm was than it. After hearing all the happy users here, and seeing some of the pictures, I suspect I had a bad copy.

I say a "little upset" because I replaced the Zeiss 35mm with a Voightlander 40mm. That lens is just amazing, so much so I keep rechecking to make sure it is as good as the impression I was left with the last time I used it.

Last edited by les3547; 02-15-2011 at 07:16 PM.
02-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Carl Zeiss has some field curvature which caused the point of focus to move slightly as the lens is stopped down, one of the reasons why it isn't the most popular of the bunch.

the Voigltander Ultron 40mm f/2 while it is certainly sharp, It doesn't have a reputation for the kind of background blur the FA31 is famous for. Certainly OOF blur is a matter of taste but I never liked the nervous character the ultron lens tend produce.
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #48
Veteran Member

The Zeiss 28/2 does indeed have some field curvature but it is only noticeable at fairly close ranges. As I posted earlier in this thread (posts 14 and 38), I have come to like this aspect of the lens as it leads to some unique and creative shots. All the other Zeiss strengths are in abundance with this lens. I also would not say that the 28 is not a popular lens. In fact, it's considered to be quite a bit better than the 25. Indeed, the 25 and the 18 are considered to be the weakest links in the Zeiss line-up, yet there are people that love them, too. But, if you're sure the curvature would bother you (I thought it would bother me), then no, the 28/2 is not the lens for you.
02-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The Zeiss 28/2 does indeed have some field curvature but it is only noticeable at fairly close ranges. As I posted earlier in this thread (posts 14 and 38), I have come to like this aspect of the lens as it leads to some unique and creative shots. All the other Zeiss strengths are in abundance with this lens. I also would not say that the 28 is not a popular lens. In fact, it's considered to be quite a bit better than the 25. Indeed, the 25 and the 18 are considered to be the weakest links in the Zeiss line-up, yet there are people that love them, too. But, if you're sure the curvature would bother you (I thought it would bother me), then no, the 28/2 is not the lens for you.
Do you have pictures taken with it I can look at? A link to your Flickr account, etc. would be fine. I like the 28mm both as a focal length (since the next FL up I have is the 40mm), and also for Zeiss's construction of that lens, which seems to be the most compact of the line up.

02-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Do you have pictures taken with it I can look at? A link to your Flickr account, etc. would be fine. I like the 28mm both as a focal length (since the next FL up I have is the 40mm), and also for Zeiss's construction of that lens, which seems to be the most compact of the line up.
Sure, PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple. I've never had any success in posting here and it turning out to look good (and I don't have a Flickr or similar account). Funny that you mentioned the size. It's almost exactly the same size as the FA31, which many people like to run down because it's so big.
02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Sure, PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple. I've never had any success in posting here and it turning out to look good (and I don't have a Flickr or similar account). Funny that you mentioned the size. It's almost exactly the same size as the FA31, which many people like to run down because it's so big.
I'll PM you. I am one of those guys who likes a manual focus lens to be a little more substantial (than, say, a pancake lens), the 28 looks ideal.

Regarding my interest in the 28mm FL, I have a Voightlander 20mm, which is a lovely lens, but I have a terrible time relating to such a wide focal length (I had the same problem with the otherwise excellent DA 15 Ltd.). There always seems to be too much in the picture for me to compose, and I have trouble focusing it too, so I will probably list it for sale (or take some lessons in wide angle shooting). I am hoping the 28mm or 31mm will be more manageable as my lower limit FL.
02-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Well, I have found my 28 to be a little more challenging to focus than my other 2 Zeiss', and for similar reasons that you mentioned, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and I'm far from an expert at manual focusing. I think the 28 is also considered to be much easier to focus than the 25. A Katzeye screen and magnified viewfinder go a long way.