Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

What kind of lens mount is this

I bought a Kalimar 35-70mm lens which was suppose to have a K-mount. When I got the lens it would not fit on my K-7. The raised ridge on the back runs about 1/3 of the circumference. I see K-mount run about 1/6 of the circumference. Can I put an adapter on this or give up and sell it. It's like new. Picture attached. Any help would be appreciated. I think it's a K-AR whatever that is.

Attached Images

11-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

P/K A, R(icoh) P/K
11-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If it is that ridge that is making it not fit, you should be able to remove that whole black piece with the ridge to make sure it will fit. If so, you can always then trim the ridge down to proper length so it won't interfere.

Edit: Forgot something.... there might be an extra pin on that lens mount that is catching on the auto focus of the camera. Take a pic of the whole lens mount and post it. If it has that extra pin, that may be all that needs to be removed to make it work with your camera.

Last edited by cyclone3d; 11-19-2010 at 09:30 PM.
11-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #4

It's very likely that that big shroud around the aperture lever is blocking the lens from mounting on your dSLR. You need to remove the flange from the lens and grind it down with a Dremel tool or the like. Spritz it with flat black paint and remount it, should be fine. I have done several lenses like that.

11-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just use a JIS screwdriver to remove the 2 screws from the black piece. No need to replace it.
11-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks

I just can't get myself to grind off that ridge, just yet. It's a brand new lens and I really would like to use it but cutting it off worries me.
11-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That ridge may just have saved your camera! If this lens is compatible with Ricoh P-mode cameras (and it certainly seems that way), then there will be a small pin diametrically opposite the red dot (i.e. out of shot in your picture). This can get jammed in the AF-drive part of the camera's mount, and you would then be in deep er, waters.

When you decide to get rid of the ridge, do ensure that you remove the dreaded pin first (it's easy, just remove the back plate).
11-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for all your comments but I'm afraid of the electrical contacts shorting out or the pin (actually, it looks like a ball not a pin). It's not worth the chance of destroying the K-7 which I love. I think I'll put in on eBay for $20 and just forget it. Pity, it's like brand new.