Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 8-16mm ultra wide

I just got this lens last night all i can say is wow, that is wide.

Biggest draw back is that i wont be able to put a graduated ND filter on it. As others have said the 72mm mount on the slip over ring is useless for filters as it is visible even "zoomed" to 16mm.

One other complaint that i had read about the lens in researching it was that it doesn't properly record it's focal length in exif data. Not sure if this is a pentax only issue but i can say that on the K-5 at 8mm it does not. However, this is not true for all focal lengths. Once you hit 8-10mm all you see is "--" as you focal length, but from 10-16mm it records it fine.

If anyone is considering this lens and has a question for a pentax user who has one, just fire away.

11-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do have an image or two to share with us, particularly at the short end? Confused minds are interested.
03-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

Sigma 8-16 from Camera Lens Rental

I just rented this lens from CLR, and also noticed the exif focal length shows up as 0.0 or "----" for any setting less than 10mm, using my K20D. I'm guessing it is a Pentax issue, since at the moment Pentax offers nothing wider than 10mm... I don't recall reading anywhere a specified range of focal lengths detectable for various Pentax DSLRs; has anyone? For that matter, I have no idea how focal length data is encoded/decoded for Pentax or any other DSLR! I'd be curious to know if the K-5 has a similar "bottom end" focal length readout of 10mm.

Other than that, this is an interesting lens - I rented it for two weeks hoping to get ample opportunity to experiment with it. At the moment, CLR's rental rates on this lens are quite attractive - it is actually renting for a bit less than the 10-20mm Sigma!

OOPS! Just read the lens reviews section on this lens - guess the <10mm behavior is well known, and has been since the lens first came out... still curious about the reason for this "bug" in the Pentax implementation.

Last edited by MNCurt-K10D; 03-05-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Did a little more looking on PF Lens Data Base...
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

one of the best lens i have
good for hdr ,lenscape,architecture photography
imposible to put filter on it limits the use of lenses for good whether conditions

03-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
I ended up returning my copy of this lens. The lens was fine but not being able to put filters on it was a big problem and i really didnt care for how dark the view finder is with the lens because of its relatively slow aperture.

I ended up getting the 10~20mm f3.5 instead.
03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Working with contrasty chrome films in the 6x7 I used an ND gel that I held by a taped corner over the lens. This allowed me more precision in where light was attenuated. This works quite well with the 8-16. I need to be careful with the fragile gel when in the field, but I've used the same filter for more than two decades now.

HDR often makes use of an ND filter unnecessary. The expanded dynamic range of the K-5 would help as well - I don't have one yet, though.
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MNCurt-K10D Quote
Just read the lens reviews section on this lens - guess the <10mm behavior is well known, and has been since the lens first came out... still curious about the reason for this "bug" in the Pentax implementation.
Pentax did not make anything wider than 10mm, so they ignored it.