Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I guess it should go then, no point in owning a lens you dont use no matter how good it is.
and an expensive one at that!

11-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #32
Inactive Account

I will say this much - I have been looking at samples of K5 everywhere I can, flickr, here, etc

I have to say that the k5 is definitely a camera that puts the better to lenses to good use.

The photos I have seen using K5 with 60-250 are stunningly beautiful. I have seen 3d look to many shots using this combo

Other lenses I have noticed as being good fit with k5

16-50 (which I have never liked too well before)
11-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #33

Original Poster
Well I got a chance to use the DA* 60-250. This was my first time on the sidelines shooting football. Im really liking the K5.

Everything was shot at f4.5-5.6 ISO 800, shutter was at 500-750.

It seemed fast enough AF, I shot in raw, next time Ill try jpg, seemed alittle slow on fps with raw.

Thanksgiving Football - a set on Flickr
11-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a very decent set, especially considering the challenging conditions and your first sideline gig.

My faves: QB No 18 releasing a pass; no 25 in black and gold running with ball; the last one capturing the hit and fumble. It's good that you got the players' eyes in many of the shots; I like no. 2 being pursued. No 29 moving with the ball may be the best.

Many of these still seem blurry. Consider shooting at ISO 1600 or even 3200.

M

11-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Does sigma make the 120-300/2.8 in K-mount? Never seen one for sale, but it seems to be a stellar "sports-lens" in CaNikon mounts... There's also the 100-300/4 which I'm heard nothing but positive things about...
11-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #36

Original Poster
Ok Miguel, Ill try the higher ISO's and see how it turns out.

Let me ask this, there were other canikons there, and since the snow came down and drenched my camera/lens and theirs, they didnt seem to worry about covering them up. The guy I was with just wiped his off after we left. Dont know about the other guy. SO could I, like they have gotten away with a lens that wasnt weather sealed? Since it wasnt a heavy downpour or anything?
11-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
Let me ask this, there were other canikons there, and since the snow came down and drenched my camera/lens and theirs, they didnt seem to worry about covering them up. The guy I was with just wiped his off after we left. Dont know about the other guy. SO could I, like they have gotten away with a lens that wasnt weather sealed? Since it wasnt a heavy downpour or anything?
Depends on the lens he was using... Most high-end CaNikon glass is sealed... But even if it's not... people have been shooting sports for ages without any weather sealing to begin with...
11-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #38

Original Poster
Ok so how bid a difference are the cannikons sealed and the da* sealed lenses

11-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #39
Pentaxian

For sports, I use a Nikon D3s with a Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 ED AF-S VR, a Canon 1D MkIIn with a EF 200mm f/1.8L and a Pentax K-7 with a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO IF EX DG - a real mixed bag

with the sigma weather sealing really doesn't bother me, it's an internally focusing,internally zooming lens. so there really isn't any way I could see any small amount of water damaging it, though I would be a bit wary of using it under torrential downpours. I use the sigma 100-300 hand held most of the time, it's a very versatile lens. and the integral IS on pentax cameras is just as good as nikon's VR.
11-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Ok so how bid a difference are the cannikons sealed and the da* sealed lenses

It's not about lenses, it's about users... CaNikon users don't run around in circles with an erection about weather-sealing....

Sorry, couldn't resist being sarcastic... I have always found and still finding that Pentax community is way too anal about WR... What people don't understand is that true WR doesn't exist.... Water is the nastiest thing on the planet, no matter how well sealed your sh@t is, water will always find it's way in... You can keep it to the minimum, but the only way to have a true sealing is to have a solid lens barrel with no moving or extending parts (zoom rings, mf rings, af switches) at all... that would be considered fully rain, piss, and dust proof.

So as such, even if your lens is WR'ed... i'd think 10 times before pouring water on it or subjecting it to mud baths... and if it happens for whatever reason, make sure to dry it properly and make sure to do whatever needs to be done to prevent mold growing....

As far as CaNikon's sealing vs Pentax WR goes... I don't see it any different... Just that Nikon is rather discrete about it... People are stupid, if you tell them that their gear is weather-RESISTANT they are gonna start showering with it...

No it's not funny...

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm not attacking anything or anybody... But people should stop taking things for granted... despite the fact that we're living in 2011 (almost), the wheel is still the most advanced piece of technology...
11-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #41

Original Poster
So if I had that sigma out in the rain, it would do as well as the DA*?
11-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SO could I, like they have gotten away with a lens that wasnt weather sealed? Since it wasnt a heavy downpour or anything?
With my Canon 7D + 100-400MM L lens, as well as when I shot sports with a K20D, light rain and snow wasn't much of an issue. When the precipitation interferes with my ability to see clearly enough through the viewfinder (including wind blowing water on a hooded lens) is when I use a raincover.

The push/pull design of the Canon 100-400mm lens tends to suck water internally (so I have read), so that's another reason for a raincover.

It's not a big deal to me.

M
11-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

So if I had that sigma out in the rain, it would do as well as the DA*
in short, yes. though bear in mind Pentax states that their lenses are water resistant, not water proof. so use common sense, and you should be fine.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-26-2010 at 04:27 PM.
11-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Does sigma make the 120-300/2.8 in K-mount?
No.
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Just that Nikon is rather discrete about it
It appears to me that they are scared to say they are weather resistant, not saying that's right, but they really seem to say bugger all about it in case they get sued or something.
11-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
No.

It appears to me that they are scared to say they are weather resistant, not saying that's right, but they really seem to say bugger all about it in case they get sued or something.

It's not as much about getting sued, as getting a train load of warranty claims... It's actually pretty smart of Nikon not pushing it... If they were to openly claim that their gear is weather-resistant, users will start bathing with it... unavoidable... Just look at all the WR-praise threads in lenses section... wait a while and we gonna start seeing a lot of "OMG!!! I've got mold in my DA*lens!!!" threads...

Too bad of Sigma b.t.w. given that Pentax has not much to offer in regards to fast teles, 120-300/2.8 would have been a great alternative... quite affordable too... I've seen them go for under 2K in CaNikon versions... Hopefully K5 will change things for Pentax...