Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is the story with weatherproofing with the DA 17-70mm?

I'm curious to see how others have fared, or what they know. All I can see is that the Pentax DA 17-70mm has a weather-sealing ring around the rear of the lens, and has super protect on the front element.

Why would a manufacturer do this without sealing the front of the lens, a la 18-55mm WR?

11-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been several threads in this Forum on weather-proofing or WR.

However it is difficult to talk about a lens WR only. Instead you need to consider both the lens and the camera body. A WR lens on a non-WR body cannot be placed in the same harsh environment, as would a WR lens on a WR body.

The DA17-70mm is however a DA lens. It is not a DA* lens, nor a WR lens. In other words, the 17-70mm might have a ring but it is not rated WR according to Pentax.

Food for thoughts...
11-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is pure speculation, but hear me out. I read an interview with ned the other day, who mentioned a delineation between the DA* line and the WR line. While you would expect either to fare well in all weather, he mentioned that the sealing on the DA*'s are superior. Therefore I believe there is a sort of gradation in the sealing quality (keeping in mind that non are 100%).

There are videos of people pouring water on the DA*'s, and I think even the WR, but you likely would not want that to happen to the 17-70. I suppose it is a "bare bones" sealing that will protect you if you get caught with your pants down, but isn't advertised as such because it simply isn't meant for that sort of environment.

It looks like the sealing of the 17-70 is meant more to protect the body from damage if you get caught in some serious water, but it would not do much to protect the lens from heavy rain or dust.
11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

I could be horribly wrong on this, so someone please correct me if I am, but judging by the way the focus ring moves, I don't think there's an adequate seal there.

So I'd speculate that the 17-70 would qualify under partially-WR, which means parts are WR, while other parts (focus ring) are not.

11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
It looks like the sealing of the 17-70 is meant more to protect the body from damage if you get caught in some serious water, but it would not do much to protect the lens from heavy rain or dust.
Having owned the lens, it definitely has the rubber O ring on the lens mount, which would protect the camera itself, but aside from having a nice build quality along the lines of the higher end DA lenses, you can tell the fit is not as tight as say the 18-55mm WR lens.
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

i own the da 17-70 and here's the deal: it's not a da* or WR and it's not weatherproof. end of story

otherwise it's a nice lens and a nice upgrade to the kit lens.