Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Teleconverter for DA* 60-250mm

I wonder who has used TC converters (current ones, not discontinued models) for DA* 60-250. Is the Sigma 2X TC converter works with the lens and provide the AF function? If not what other current ones are available that works with the AF function?

Also, will I be better with the DA* 160-250 + 2X or just get a Sigma 150-500 or 50-500.

11-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma teleconverter doesn't fit and wont work anyway due to the SDM.

The Tamron 1.4x MC4 will work but is not current.

After trying virtually every converter with the 60-250mm and not being happy with the results I bought a Sigma 100-300mm f4 and use the Sigma converters on that.

Also have a 50-500mm which is very good as well.
11-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Mike, since I have already own the DA*60-250, it would be hard for me the justify the Sigma 100-300. You mentioned 50-500 is very good, how about the 150-500 OS? Is the IQ comparable since I do not need the 50-250 range?
11-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photoman8888 Quote
You mentioned 50-500 is very good, how about the 150-500 OS? Is the IQ comparable since I do not need the 50-250 range?
Never tried the 150-500mm OS, the pics I have seen on this forum seem fine though.

11-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Tamron 1.4x TC kind of works. "Kind of" because it hunts a lot when the DA* 60-250mm is at the long end of the zoom range.

None of the current 2X TCs works.

The only TC that works with the DA* 60-250mm is the Pentax AFA 1.7X.

The Sigma 150-500mm is fine. But it's big and heavy. More and more often, I leave it at home and bring the DA* 60-250mm and the AFA 1.7X instead.
11-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ teleconverter may also work. I didn't try the Kenko with a 60-250mm but I did try it with a 50-135mm and it did support AF. I gather the Kenko's IQ isn't as good as the Pentax 1.7, but the price is better. There's one for sale in the Marketplace. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/122652-sale-k...worldwide.html
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been wondering the same things on this subject. I have the 1.4x TC and it does OK, but the IQ isn't nearly as good as without (obviously). I've been battling back and forth between the Sigma 150-500 and 50-500. Both have variable apertures which I'd rather not have. I've been thinking seriously about the 300mm 2.8 Sigma coupled with the Sigma 2x TC. That'd give me a 300mm 2.8 lens, a 600mm 5.6 lens and I believe autofocus would be supported on both setups. Then I'd have my zoom for the majority of things, and the long reach when I need it.

I'd really like some real-life experience on this. Anyone have any thoughts?
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The Tamron 1.4x TC kind of works. "Kind of" because it hunts a lot when the DA* 60-250mm is at the long end of the zoom range.

None of the current 2X TCs works.

The Sigma 150-500mm is fine. But it's big and heavy. More and more often, I leave it at home and bring the DA* 60-250mm and the AFA 1.7X instead.
SoldBear, good to know you have both Sigma 150-500 and Pentax TC 1.7X + DA* 60-250. How would you compare the AF speed and IQ between these two options? I am exactly on the cross road of trying to pick one of these options.

11-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ teleconverter may also work. I didn't try the Kenko with a 60-250mm but I did try it with a 50-135mm and it did support AF. I gather the Kenko's IQ isn't as good as the Pentax 1.7, but the price is better. There's one for sale in the Marketplace. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/122652-sale-k...worldwide.html
I have both TC's. They both work fine with the DA* 60-250mm
I do not have a lot of examples on line available.

The Kenko is still for sale. It is completely transparant for the camera.
Hence, SR is not compensated for the extra length.
It is a plastic TC and it bends under the weigth of the lens.
They are still selling new items, but it is hard to find.

The Pentax TC is sturdy and stiff.
It has an internal focusing mechanism, unique for TC's.
It identifies itself in Ligthroom as an A-series lens. You will need to enter an SR focus compensation manually. The camera will ask for it after mounting the SR.
You can buy this TC with Tom1803 on this forum, or Amazon japan.

There is another TC on the market, available new, the Soligor 1.7x TC.

I did show some examples earlier.

DA* 60-250mm + Kenko 1.5 TC:

DA* 60-250mm + Pentax AF 1.7 TC:

Look at the corner sharpness of this last photo. I like the Pentax TC best, bougth it for €25 in a second hand shop!

- Bert
11-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your response and the great sample photos. The IQ for both TC looks excellent to me. Yes, the Pentax TC sounds like the obvious choice. I shall look up Tom1803 for the unit.
11-29-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi Photoman8888
I bought the Pentax SMC 1.7x AF Teleconverter in Tokyo last year and I am blown away by the quality and IQ of this device. If you can get one go for it. The only problem is they are not easy to find. At the time when I bought mine there was only one available in Tokyo it seemed.

The curious thing about it is it comes in a current looking box and the new flapover pouch but inside it has a little brouchre with a picture of an ancient old film Pentax camera and looks like it was printed sometime in the late 60th.

So my immediate feeling was it was old stock. But than on closer examination I found the wording "assembled in Vietnam", on it, in other words a new production. Apparently Pentax discovered the worth of this TC after people demanded it and so decided to resurrect the thing. They must have found some leftover old printed broucheres and decided to use them up. I also believe they do not make many of them but the demand is high.

If you can secure one don't even think of passing it up, it is really very very good. I am using mine on the DA* 60-250 with stunning results. The autofocus works like a charm, the only thing is you must manually focus first to get near the TC autofocus range. The TC disables the lenses AF and takes over itself and since it is small and has limited focus range this is necessary to go within range first.

With the number 8888 in your name I am sure you will be lucky enough to find one.
Greetings
11-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I am using mine on the DA* 60-250 with stunning results. The autofocus works like a charm, the only thing is you must manually focus first to get near the TC autofocus range. The TC disables the lenses AF and takes over itself and since it is small and has limited focus range this is necessary to go within range first.
Do you lose the SDM's silent focus? How is the focus speed compared to the 60-250 by itself. I have the Kenko 1.5 Teleplus with PZ contacts. AF was slow and halting when I tried it with a 50-135mm.
11-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Do you lose the SDM's silent focus? How is the focus speed compared to the 60-250 by itself. I have the Kenko 1.5 Teleplus with PZ contacts. AF was slow and halting when I tried it with a 50-135mm.
Yes, you will lose the SDM function.
The Pentax TC works differently from all others. It has its own (screwdrive) AF mechanism.
You manually focus the lens "more or less" and let the TC do the rest on AF.
It works much better than you might expect.

So, you'll have AF on a manual lens with this TC....

My Kenko combined with my DA* 60-250mm works pretty well in daylight.
Don't know why you are having problems with the faster DA* 50-135mm.

- Bert
11-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi Photoman8888
I bought the Pentax SMC 1.7x AF Teleconverter in Tokyo last year and I am blown away by the quality and IQ of this device. If you can get one go for it. The only problem is they are not easy to find. At the time when I bought mine there was only one available in Tokyo it seemed.
There is an alternative source: Amazon Japan.
See: Amazon.co.jp: HOYA F AFアダプタ1.7X F AFアダプター1.7X: 家電・カメラ

The price is around $315

- Bert
11-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your assurance. I did follow Bert's lead to contact Tom1803 in Japan. He said he could get me one shortly.

After looking at Bert's sample photo, it is hard not to get one.

Cheers.

Hi Photoman8888

The curious thing about it is it comes in a current looking box and the new flapover pouch but inside it has a little brouchre with a picture of an ancient old film Pentax camera and looks like it was printed sometime in the late 60th.

So my immediate feeling was it was old stock. But than on closer examination I found the wording "assembled in Vietnam", on it, in other words a new production. Apparently Pentax discovered the worth of this TC after people demanded it and so decided to resurrect the thing. They must have found some leftover old printed broucheres and decided to use them up. I also believe they do not make many of them but the demand is high.

If you can secure one don't even think of passing it up, it is really very very good. I am using mine on the DA* 60-250 with stunning results. The autofocus works like a charm, the only thing is you must manually focus first to get near the TC autofocus range. The TC disables the lenses AF and takes over itself and since it is small and has limited focus range this is necessary to go within range first.

With the number 8888 in your name I am sure you will be lucky enough to find one.
Greetings