Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax-F 70-210mm

I was cleaning this zoom, tried it out inside my studio, worked fine, sharp images. I take the lens outside, and now it can't seem to focus to infinity... any ideas?

I did notice battery is low and I'm hoping this is it. (I don't have charged batteries here) but my 30-70 is working fine on the camera and this too I cleaned this morning...

11-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fixed it!!!

Apparently, while cleaning the lens, the focusing mechanism, which holds the first lens in place moved just slightly enough to throw off the infinite end. There are 3 sets screws which were so loose that the lens rotated slightly while cleaning. I went ahead and did some manual "calibration" of the focusing mechanism while mounted on camera and getting an in focus indication, re-tightened set screws and works like new...
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Nice Job!
11-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When I was working on the same lens last week, I ended up getting the front element way off.

The autofocus works fine and it can infinity focus..... but it goes way past infinity focus - infinity focus is at about 25 feet on the distance scale.

It can also focus at about 2 feet when set to 210mm.

11-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
When I was working on the same lens last week, I ended up getting the front element way off.

The autofocus works fine and it can infinity focus..... but it goes way past infinity focus - infinity focus is at about 25 feet on the distance scale.

It can also focus at about 2 feet when set to 210mm.
Wow!!! I've got the SMC-F 70-210 f4-5.6 and it shows Infinity as beyond @ 60ft on the distance scale...
11-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Wow!!! I've got the SMC-F 70-210 f4-5.6 and it shows Infinity as beyond @ 60ft on the distance scale...
Yeah.. I might leave it how it is since it really doesn't affect focusing and it allows me to focus closer than normal.

It is basically adjusted for the closest focus possible. If I set it any closer, it binds at close focus.
11-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

I've taken my smc-f 70-210 apart from the front to clean fungus off the rear of the front element and now its back together I can't get it to focus at infinity either. Which 3 set screws did you adjust the unartist ? the three on the main lens barrel under the distance window strip (2) and rubber (1)
Thanks
11-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timestwo Quote
the three on the main lens barrel under the distance window strip (2) and rubber (1)
Thanks
No, these are not the ones. The 3 set screws are located near the end of the telephoto barrel (slot screw). They can just be loosened and the focusing ring can turn independent of the lens...

11-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #9

thanks -- obvious once you know how!
Cheers
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timestwo Quote
I've taken my smc-f 70-210 apart from the front to clean fungus off the rear of the front element and now its back together I can't get it to focus at infinity either. Which 3 set screws did you adjust the unartist ? the three on the main lens barrel under the distance window strip (2) and rubber (1)
Thanks
I just looked at my 70-210 and dang, it's got fungus, it still take sweet images but I want to see if I can get it apart to clean!!! Looks like it's just inside the top element. Id like to try to save this lens, how did you get the front apart? I can see 3 Philips type screws right around the focusing ring... Can you give a little hint as to where you went from here, any special tools, heating, etc.

Thanks, Rick
01-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In front, there are three elements together. Look here:

Two are cemented together. They are all in a threaded carrier that screws in and out using the filter threads. If you look at the lens head-on, you'll see 4 slots for a lens spanner tool. The outer slots are in a lock ring that keeps the carrier in one place. If you can unscrew the lock ring, you can screw the carrier in and out. That's also the infinity focus adjustment. The inner slots are in a ring that keeps the group together.

The ring might be locked in place with lacquer or paint. The slots aren't all that far away from the front element, so if you improvise a tool here, make sure it's a good one. If it slips, bad things may happen. I use needlenose pliers with slightly ground tips so they just fit the slots. If it doesn't move on my first try, I drip some acetone in the filter threads and try again.

Because there are three lenses in that group, your fungus could be inside the group. I hope not; it's even worse to get that inner ring off. Another possibility is it's not fungus. It could be glue breaking down between the glued elements. In that case, a repair is possible but not worth the trouble.

When you put everything back together, check infinity focus at the 70mm end and 210mm. I can't recall if they're different, but it's a good idea to check in case. Then tighten the ring. I did mine a few years ago and it hasn't moved.

More repair information on the lens:

Pentax 70-210 Repair
01-19-2011, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks and great link!!!

So far no image degrading, still colorful, sharp and contrasty. Plus, tested on white background and you cannot see anything. A guy at the camera store said that it'll be OK just as long as it's on the front element v. the back...

I took a look at the link, and it's a little intimidating. I am currently working on a 135 prime that had stuck aperture, got it apart, cleaned aperture blades, now snappy but struggling to piece back together... :-)

Rick
03-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ever since I bought this lens, I knew there was something funny about infinity focus. I only saw at the long end, though.

After reading this and scrounging up a screwdriver, I'm happy to say my lens is cured! I think I lost a little off the close focus side because I can't be bothered to do this perfectly, but I am very happy. Thank you all!