Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got mine about a hour before dark and didn't have much time to get any outside photo's.
But one thing is that it's built like a Tank and feels as heavy as my DA 18-250 but it goes & looks quit nicely on the K-5.
It makes no sound when zooming it's kind of eriee.
I think I'll sell my Tamron 18-250mm and give the wife the DA 18-250mm and use this new lens as my walk around.

This was rite at the Sun and I got no flair.

Looks kind of nice I have to say.

11-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #32

Sounds like the new DC motor is a winner, if it's reliable then it solves at least a few problems. I like that it doesn't seem to make the lens a bazooka, has anyone else noticed that the SDM(/USM/HSM/SSM/ETC) lenses are all really big in diameter, more so than a non SDM equivalent?

I just wish they'd stop foisting in-lens motors on us.. glass lives forever.
11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Thanks Frank! Very interesting. I will say, I thought your DA 35/2.4 pics looked a little nicer. Apples to oranges, obviously, but do you agree with what you can see? Thanks again, Nick
Yes, the DA35/2.4 is optically better, but only at 35mm or thereabout
11-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tentacles Quote
Sounds like the new DC motor is a winner, if it's reliable then it solves at least a few problems. I like that it doesn't seem to make the lens a bazooka, has anyone else noticed that the SDM(/USM/HSM/SSM/ETC) lenses are all really big in diameter, more so than a non SDM equivalent?

I just wish they'd stop foisting in-lens motors on us.. glass lives forever.
The DC (or brushless DC) motor used in this new lens is known to be maintenance free and long lasting. The rotor of the motor is part of the turning lens barrel, and there is no need to put in high voltage circuit (which is needed for supersonic or ultrasonic motors) or reduction gears (to link the AF motor from camera body or an in-lens ultrasonic motor to the turning lens barrel), that's why the new DC lens can be smaller and more compact, and I'm sure it'd be much reliable than the SDM lenses.

Brushless DC motor is known to be more efficient and quieter solution too

11-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Quite a lot of PF... :-(
I think what you're looking at is the pink version of the 18-55...
11-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting. It looks like a very worthy successor as a kit lens. One could buy the camera with this lens and not be tempted to immediately start a thread about replacing the kit lens.

At the point I am ready to snag a K5, I'd be very tempted to get this lens as part of the kit.
11-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The lens is fast because it has a short focus throw. All Pentax consumer zooms has short focus throw. The pro-zooms from Pentax has long focus throw. Short focus throw = fast AF, long focus throw = slower AF.

The reason for the pro-zooms to have long focus throw is because this gives higher accuracy and precision when manually focusing the lens. Pentax believes that professional photographers and advanced enthusiasts are more likely to manually adjust focus than entry level customers.

11-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Yes, the DA35/2.4 is optically better, but only at 35mm or thereabout
11-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I see some fringing at the extreme wide and long ends, but certainly no more than any other kit zoom. Looks great to me, and nice writeup, Frank.

Mine ships today... excited to get it soon.
+1 (about the fringing anyway)

NaCl(I'll be excited to get mine too...in a few months )H2O
11-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Frank

Another "real world" review. Much better IMHO than what we get from the photo sites and their staged compositions. BTW it is the way I "test" my new/new-to-me lenses, go out and shoot with them. The results mean more to me and besides I have a lot more fun doing it.

NaCl(if it ain't fun, you better be making money)H2O
11-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I think what you're looking at is the pink version of the 18-55...

Thanks for the review Frank.
11-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #42

Nice pics and I agree with the above posters regarding colors rendition and bokeh. It's also interesting to note the lens has no vignetting at 18mm( unless you PPd that ?).
Interesting offering from Pentax but the price point for the lens as a standalone is a bit excessive.... might be interesting to get it in conjunction with a camera body. They should bundle it like Nikon does with the 18-105.

+1 for a 55-300 WR !
11-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #43

I like what I'm seeing here, very capable it seems with great bokeh and colour. Contrast looks very good too. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
11-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #44

looks good. gonna have to put it on my wish list as a dedicated hiking lens, maybe even with a K-5 attached to it. i really like that it's only a tad larger than the kit lens. even more reason for it to replace the 18-55 WR.
11-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Frank, would you be so kind as to record some video or audio of the 18-135's AF in action? I'm curious how it sounds compared to a screw-mounted lens and especially a lens with SDM.

Thanks! The lens is looking great so far!

- Jason