Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Old Pentax lenses on Pentax DSLR bodies

Hello all,

I'd very much like to try some grand old Pentax K, M, and A lenses on a K20D, but before I spend any money I'd like to know if Pentax's DSLR bodies will support open-aperture metering with those old lenses.

(I already surmise I'll have to use Manual mode with most of those lenses, which is fine. I also surmise Aperture Priority mode will work the Pentax-A lenses, right?)

My sincere thanks,
Eric.

11-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes. you got it.

PENTAX Tip: Using Older PENTAX Lenses on PENTAX DSLRs | Facebook

I would start with a 50 1.7 or 1.4. A version if you can swing it, because AV mode is a very nice thing to have while you are focusing manually.
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Balisarda Quote
Hello all,

I'd very much like to try some grand old Pentax K, M, and A lenses on a K20D, but before I spend any money I'd like to know if Pentax's DSLR bodies will support open-aperture metering with those old lenses.

(I already surmise I'll have to use Manual mode with most of those lenses, which is fine. I also surmise Aperture Priority mode will work the Pentax-A lenses, right?)

My sincere thanks,
Eric.
the metering is not fully automatic with all lenses.

For A lenses there is no issue at all, you can shoot them in any mode on the camera and they will behave just like modern lenses (Less autofocus of course)

For K and M lenses, you need to meter using one of the manual metering methods. these are the green button, and using the DOF preview. the difference between the methods is as follows.
- The green button stops the lens down for about 1/2 to 1 second, at which time it meters, and then the lens opens up again. When it meters, it sets the shutter speed to match the light coming through the aperture. Using DOF preview stops the lens down, and activates the metering and you can
- read the over or under exposure in the viewfinder, but it does not change the camera settings.

as you can see, not true open aperture metering.

Additionally, you should be aware that there is an issue with the focusing screen in the K20 (also used in the K10) which leads to significant exposure errors at some apertures.

I have posted the attached chart before,

11-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Eric,

First post I see. Welocme to the forum.

Wow Lowell you are quick.

Yes Eric - the K, M and A series are all supported to various degress on your K 20.

If you check in the lens review section you will find reviews of how most if not all performed.

You will find this thread useful on using old Pentax glass on DSLRs.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Have fun.

Cheers

Tom G

11-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
My thanks to everyone for their advice!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Eric.
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #6

Well while I'm here I will tell you I used all my 30 year old Pentax glass on my new K5 today. It is a kick to use them in full manual like the good old days. I did post that my Ricoh flash worked with them.
11-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
Well while I'm here I will tell you I used all my 30 year old Pentax glass on my new K5 today. It is a kick to use them in full manual like the good old days. I did post that my Ricoh flash worked with them.
Hi Rick,

How did the old glass perform on the K5? I have a K10 and a lot of older Pentax glass so I'm curious.

Tom G