Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Yeah, stabilization of how the viewfinder and AF system sees the image can be quite beneficial.

However, unlike the Sigma 18-250 vs Tamron 18-250 (almost no significant price difference, so getting the OS lens was a no-brainer), in this case the OS doubles the price.

I'd be willing to pay some price premium but not that much...
I'd expect the price to settle down like most lenses, eventually. Don't base it on MSRP.

02-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased a new condition Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM from the marketplace here and had a chance to try it out today at my nephews' soccer match.

I am astounded at the sharpness and speed of focus that this lens achieves.

Up till now I tried getting by using cheaper lenses, but I now understand the value of better glass and definitely feel this lens delivers.

With the built in SR we have available it would seem the OS versions would be unnecessary.

I am a photog newbie so excuse the poor technique, but here is an example of the shots I was getting. I was using a k10d on a monopod, AF-C and had the SR turned on.
02-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I'd expect the price to settle down like most lenses, eventually. Don't base it on MSRP.
At the point I posted that, both were available and the OS was more than double the price.

The price delta has dropped somewhat, it is less than double now, but it's still close.

$800 for non-OS, $1400 for OS. $600 premium is not worth it - if the delta drops to less than $400 I may consider it to get the stabilized viewfinder and supposedly improved IQ.
02-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hey crewl1,

Nice performance from that Sigma. I'm debating between your Sigma and the Tamron 70-200. I had pretty much settled on the Tamron, but your photo makes me reconsider the Sigma. I hate making these big decisions!

02-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

@DaddyO
I could have gone either way as well, choice was made for me when the opportunity came up.

They both get good ratings in the lens database.

Actually this Sigma should be rated better than it shows because some of the ratings are incorrectly attributed to the older version.

I may be mistaken but I believe the Tamron uses a screw drive focus?
This one has the HSM focus which is silent.
It also lets you manually focus by just grabbing the ring like a quick shift lens if you think you might need to.

Last edited by crewl1; 02-11-2011 at 03:56 PM.
02-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
Forum Member

DaddyO
I have done a lot of reviewing and from what I conclude (imho) the Tammy appears to have the better IQ throughout the range but is a tad slower to focus (and louder). The Sigma is faster focusing (and quiet) but soft on the upper end. If you look at the BH reviews on the two lenses (Tammy 70-200 and Sigma (70-200), the Sigma has many more 'votes' for "sports usage" than the Tammy (I assume this is where the faster focusing would be an advantage). I am torn like you...I want the Tammy IQ but shoot indoor sports so I need the speed...what good is IQ if you cant focus fast enough and miss the shot? Alas... there is no perfect lens! Aggrghh!
02-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #22

I was tempted by the couple of the Sigma 70-200 that came up in the marketplace recently. But in the end choose the Tamron as I had the 1.4X Tamron TC to use with it. Unable to provide any comparison as I never tried the Sigma before
02-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Actually this Sigma should be rated better than it shows because some of the ratings are incorrectly attributed to the older version.
Having tried the version you purchased I eventually found one of the old versions (MKI APO EX) and have to say wide open at 200mm the MKI is the sharper.

I didn't keep the Macro HSM but I will never give the MKI up.

02-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
because optical stabilization becomes more effective than sensor based stabilization at longer focal lengths.
And where does that misconception come from?
02-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Apparently the latest OS version has improved the IQ though. The "macro" versions were not rated that highly in general, which is also why the first version is highly regarded.
02-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
And where does that misconception come from?
Quite some time ago, long before Sigma started offering OS lenses for Pentax SR bodies, it was possible to test both in-lens OS and in-body OS on Olympus Four-Thirds bodies.

I unfortunately don't have a link to that at the moment, but that "misconception" originated from actual testing. Where does your belief that it is a "misconception" originate from?

In general within that test, in-body OS performed better at short focal lengths and in-lens OS performed better at longer focal lengths.

Based on the "sports zoom" article it seems to be about a wash at 200mm. Even that article says that at longer focal lengths, in-lens OS could be an improvement.

Personally, given equivalent OS performance, I'll choose the in-lens OS for the stabilized viewfinder image. (The "sports zoom" article thinks this is a negative, I consider it to be a major positive from my experiences with the Sigma 18-250 HSM OS.)
02-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

it is interesting to see the responses since I first cast my stone into this pond.

IMO here is the whole thing in a nutshell

Sigma has released at least 5 70-200 zooms since my APO 70-200F2.8 EX (non DG non Macro version)

They released the first DG version, which I think was optically the same (someone correct me please here if I am wrong) but with rear element coatings to stop the mythical reflection off the sensor (which the first version never had any way)

then they released the DG Macro, which focused closer but was a different optical design and lost sharpness at long FLs

there were then at least 1 and possibly 2 HSM versions

Now there is the HSM Optically stabalized version. which aside from the OS, has a different optical formula to the HSM version.

As many have stated, the origonal is the sharpest at long FLs.

As for optical stabalization, and the need for it at long FLs, that is just BS.

See the attached photo, a 100% crop (out of a shot that had the bird fill the entire frame) shot with an SMC 300F4 and SMC-F 1.7x AF converter, on the K7 at 1/40th

don't tell me you could do any better with OS, it is all technique. this shot was with me free standing, no monopod, no sand bages, nothing to lean on.

ANy way, sensor based IS works, but has drawbacks. First, as yo move the lens the viewfinder is not stable, aside from framing errors, this means the focusing sensor aned the light meter are not presented with consistent data. In days where focus errors are discussed at length, to me this is where OS wins over IS, but if you can hold the lens steady in the first place, it does not matter at all now does it?

I will stay with my old lens thank you very much, and put money into either a newer body or different lenses, but I won't buy another 70-200F2.8 until my present one is no longer serviceable
02-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Where does your belief that it is a "misconception" originate from?
Because such a blanket statements fails to take into account the particulars of heach lens, each SR system, each body, each user, and each shooting situations.

The findings originating from an Olympus test might be true for, say, lateral movement, but be innacurate for rotational movements, or with the camera in one orientation, or relatively stable long exposures, etc.

Part of my job is to test telecomm products and establish their specifications. I'm always weary of well-known "truths" and I always look at how the test were actually performed. There are often more variables than what is intuitively assumed.