Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Dave, Yeatzee - Gorgeous! I am excited already. Yeatzee, I like your flash set-up from Flickr. I presume the inside is aluminum foil or similar? I've tried handholding a flash on a cord, but it just doesn't work.
)
Yes

11-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on your purchase!

I had looked at the same lens on Keh and was very tempted. I was a little concerned about the listed condition and the lack of detailed photos but for the price, it is probably well worth it.

You'll get some great shots with it around Mad-City (my hometown... which I miss much.)
11-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, sunny! I have had some good lenses from them rated BGN before, so fingers crossed. Hope it is warmer in MD!
11-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Great shots!

I'm sure my FA135 would have had PF on a wide-open shot like this though? Any PP to reduce it?

11-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Great shots!

I'm sure my FA135 would have had PF on a wide-open shot like this though? Any PP to reduce it?
You'd be surprised. There is only a small hint on the original on the back of the bird, and thats viewed at 100%. Its very light colored PF, not the dark kind too.
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the F 135 arrived! It had several notable cosmetic flaws, pretty clearly in BGN condition, which has not been true of other lenses I have received from KEH where I had to hunt for minor flaws. AF is pretty noisy, and even rattles a bit while hunting. I hope this doesn't presage incipient failure. It is not big, and not excessively heavy, and I love the lack of extension by IF. It is a pretty darn long focal length - couldn't do too much with it in the house, although the close focusing helps. So we set out for a brisk walk along the lake at 17 degrees F. Ice was forming on a number of structures, and I feel the lens totally did justice to the wintery scenes. After a while I did switch to an F 35-70 zoom, a great little lens in its own right, and the pictures did not have quite the same sparkle. So far, thumbs up!

Sunken treasures?

Ice Cap

Frozen Heart

And this last one, which could be better I think with a few PP touches, just not sure what to do.

Crows

Thanks all for helping me make up my mind. Now to see if I can truly bring myself to sell the Sigma 105 or SMC Tak 135/2.5 (2nd version).
12-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, the F 135 arrived! It had several notable cosmetic flaws, pretty clearly in BGN condition, which has not been true of other lenses I have received from KEH where I had to hunt for minor flaws. AF is pretty noisy, and even rattles a bit while hunting. I hope this doesn't presage incipient failure. It is not big, and not excessively heavy, and I love the lack of extension by IF. It is a pretty darn long focal length - couldn't do too much with it in the house, although the close focusing helps. So we set out for a brisk walk along the lake at 17 degrees F. Ice was forming on a number of structures, and I feel the lens totally did justice to the wintery scenes. After a while I did switch to an F 35-70 zoom, a great little lens in its own right, and the pictures did not have quite the same sparkle. So far, thumbs up!

Sunken treasures?

Ice Cap

Frozen Heart

And this last one, which could be better I think with a few PP touches, just not sure what to do.

Crows

Thanks all for helping me make up my mind. Now to see if I can truly bring myself to sell the Sigma 105 or SMC Tak 135/2.5 (2nd version).
congratulations Nick. it's a great lens although the rattling that you mentioned worries me. what do you mean it rattles? and how does it rattle during AF? if you could provide a video, we might be able to evaluate it further.

with regards to taking photos during the winter time, I believe the F135 blends in real well since it has a cold rendering.

12-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I really appreciate your update on the lens. The photos look great! This is the one lens I am really looking for right now (without much luck.)

Thanks again!
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Sunny and Pentaxor! The rattling is more of a loud vibration that occurs when the lens is hunting, mostly when it can't lock on. Not sure if it is outside the range of normal. Video, hmm, that's a thought.
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks Sunny and Pentaxor! The rattling is more of a loud vibration that occurs when the lens is hunting, mostly when it can't lock on. Not sure if it is outside the range of normal. Video, hmm, that's a thought.
Nick,I mentioned this because I believe I haven't experienced any rattling during focus hunt but rather a thud at the end on either side of the focus throw. during focusing, what I hear is the screwdrive quickly engaging like a small drill. it does focus hunt on occasion on certain difficult scenarios.

with regards to vibration, I had an old FA100 macro which judders like a jackhammer and had it returned. that lens was said to have some misaligned focus mechanism that caused it to vibrate violently and focus hunt a lot, even under normal circumstances.

if the vibration that you are experiencing is the former, then it's just normal. but if it's the latter, you might have an existing problem. the lens shouldn't judder or vibrate violently to cause a distinct noise that something might be loose. I can verify it it if you could record it.
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not quite sure if this will work (and it's not very well done either). If it works, does it sound right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31982616@N03/5242125061/
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Not quite sure if this will work (and it's not very well done either). If it works, does it sound right?

MOV00739 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
damn it Nick, why are you hiding? I can't see a damn thing.

anyway, the sound is normal. it illustrates the first scenario that I mentioned. I don't think that is a vibration but a thud when it hits the end of the focus throw since the lens' AF is very quick. btw, that should be expected on such scenarios with low contrast or dark areas. the screwdrive engages quicker if you noticed compared to other Pentax lenses. so, when can we expect future photos?
12-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it only really hunts like that in very low light... and heck it is IF there isn't anything to see. :-) There is a little vibration coming back in, but I think it is just a noisy - and super-fast - AF mechanism. I can't possibly send it back anyway, I like it too much.

Lots of snow now, less fun for walking about, but I'll see about more pictures.