Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA35mm aperture issues... help!

For the past few months I put my FA35 up on a shelf and lazily had been using my 17-50...that and I've been playing with my new DA12-24mm. Last week I pulled the little 35 gem out for a photoshoot and noticed the shots looked horrible. I was in a hurry and put it back in the bag and grabbed another lens. Last night I pulled it back out and played with it some more and here's my issue.

At first I thought it was stuck wide open, but now I see that it only stays open when in the auto (a) setting. If I manually adjust the aperture ring then things work as they should. When in auto, regardless of what f stop the camera is set at, or program mode, I get the same over exposed images. The camera shows the proper settings as it should, but ultimately shoots everything as f2. I've grunted at it, shook it, twisted the aperture ring back and forth, given it scornful glances... all with no success. Which just about sums up my repair knowledge.

Any ideas?
Taking it in for repair doesn't seem practical as the last lens I repaired cost a lot more than the lens is worth. So I'm not really sure what to do besides sadly make it a paper weight or use it sparingly as a manual lens which sucks... this was my "go to" for a long long time.... Do I just reread Franks post comparing all the 35 options and decide on a new DA (L) or find another used FA?

11-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
With the camera off the body and in A mode try moving the aperture lever by hand, does the ring move smoothly etc? Compare it with another lens, is that lever bent or anything?
11-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is the camera detecting the lens as an "A" lens when in the A position? (No "F___")

If not, clean the body and lens contacts.

Steve
11-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
check the aperture ring as well.

11-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Contacts are clean and the camera is detecting the "A" setting. However, as Tentacles has suggested, the aperture lever next to the contacts is sluggish and has a slight hesitation when pushed back and released compared to my other lenses which are quick and snappy. Upon further inspection nothing appears bent or broken and is in a similar placement as my FA50... it's just slow
11-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could be aging spring, or something broken. You can remove the rear cover for inspection. It is held by 3 tiny screws on the side (leave the 4th one closest to the lever alone).
11-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll give it a try this weekend.