Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Use the program plus, which I believe is an A body, to get really wide with the kit lens. it probably does not vignette too badly.
I've actually done exactly that, and I can tell you that he vignetting does cut off the corners... but more problematic was the extreme softness at the edge of the photos.

It's great for a holga-type effect though.

11-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
after seeing all of your comments i've reached 2 choices.

K10D; 18-55mm kit; 55mm takumar; 135mm takumar; Spotmatic film body

K10D; 18-55mm kit; 35-105mm A; Sigma 30mm f1.4; Program Plus film body

it's hard to choose
I'm definately bringing the kit so I can get to know it more

1. I like this setup because it's very minimal. I'll definitely use all those lenses (could even bring 28mm takumar for wide film, but I think I like the restriction... less is more)

2. I like this because I won't need to switch lenses often.

Only one thing to do.

Saturday I will go out and shoot with setup A
Sunday i'll go shoot with B and i'll see which I like best

I agree that I need a wide angle lens. I was looking at the 20mm FA lens. That's the one I want, but it's hard to find at a good price.

If I have that I may offload my kit lens

30mm sigma won't work on film bodies, the vignetting is too strong, but I've used the kit lens on the program plus before and it only vignettes at the ultra wide side.
11-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote

it's hard to choose

1. I like this setup because it's very minimal. I'll definitely use all those lenses (could even bring 28mm takumar for wide film, but I think I like the restriction... less is more)

Only one thing to do.

I agree that I need a wide angle lens. I was looking at the 20mm FA lens. That's the one I want, but it's hard to find at a good price.

30mm sigma won't work on film bodies, the vignetting is too strong, but I've used the kit lens on the program plus before and it only vignettes at the ultra wide side.
In looking at the reduced kits, I am still for B. The question is, how bad is vignetting on the kit lens on the film body, i.e. what focal length can you see it in the view finder?

My reason for asking is that a 20mm lens is not all that wide on digital. If I were to consider adding a lens, I would consider perhaps an Ultra Wide zoom.

When I travel, and I don't think the location has been noted yet, I find I can get by with a 10-20 and my 28-75 F2.8. If I pack a 3rd lens it is either my 135F2.5 or my 84F1.4 and a 1.7x AF TC. I have been leaning more and more to the 85 plus TC because the 85 is useful by itself, and the TC gives me the same FL and APerture as my K135 if I need the reach, but unless going outside of cities, I find I generally don't need the reach.
11-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote

it's hard to choose

Only one thing to do.

I know you are going to test these out with a day's shooting, and rightly so.

If it were me, I would probably take option 1 plus the 28mm Tak. 28/55/135 plus Spotmatic just seems right to me. And if you do this, you are almost certain to get to know your kit lens as well.

11-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #20

Original Poster
Shoot one with Takumars done.

K10D with 18-55mm
Spotmatic with 55mm and 135mm

I love the 55mm takumar, used it the most, swapped it out a few times for close ups with the 135mm.

Didn't use the K10D much, I really don't enjoy using the kit lens, not sure why. But that's why i'm bringing it along. To get to know it better.

It was cold, and that was good for testing. I did not want to mess around with the M42 adapter today so I probably won't be bringing the takumars & spotmatic on winter vacation (if it were any other season, i'd definately take them).

This weekend i'll try the second setup, A 35-105 on film body, 30mm f1.4 on K10D and kit lens as backup wide. I think it'll be much better for cold weather.

Last edited by dj_saunter; 11-26-2010 at 04:30 AM.
11-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I'd go for kit 1, with the SP. Love the rig you made, but I would add a 28mm Tak. All together very! versatile..... (Doesn't sound 28-55-135 quite classic???)

EDIT: didn't like my kit-lens either, but I brought it with me this summer during holidays to Norway, and you know what? It's the one which I used most, and it delivered great, great shots!
11-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

From my experience, I would suggest to you to mix and match. I'd go with the
18-55, 55 1.8, and 135mm 3.5

This decision really depends on what you will be photographing. But I found my 55 F1.4 to have saved me when I went to the aquarium on my last trip. Flash wasn't allowed and I didn't want to bump my Km up to 1600iso. The 30-105 is good but the over lap is going to be pretty useless I think. 105mm isn't very long either. Not saying 135mm is but it's going to the maximum.

I think it really covers your basis.
11-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #23

Original Poster
Under normal conditions, I would totally bring the 55mm and 135mm.

But the key thing is Canadian winters usually are around -20 to -35 Celsius, making screwing in lenses and inserting an adapter undesirable.

I debated bringing the 55mm f1.8 instead of the 30mm f1.4, but if I bring the sigma 30mm, then I wont need to play with any adapters at any time, which is a big plus for winter shooting.

the 35-105mm lens effectively becomes a 50-150mm lens on digital so the 30mm is the only main overlap, but i definitely want at least one fast lens.

11-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In looking at the reduced kits, I am still for B. The question is, how bad is vignetting on the kit lens on the film body, i.e. what focal length can you see it in the view finder?
I can see it up until 24mm, but the corners only actually cut out at 20mm. It's very doable, but as I said, it's more edge softness that is a problem, than vignetting.