Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I went through a similar discussion some time ago and naively also believed MTF was the holy grail of IQ tests, but alas it's not that simple.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49602-da*-16-5...e-quality.html

Jay Sherman rightly states that the MTF data fails to reflect microcontrast,
which impact on sharpness and colour rendition, which then along with resolution makes up the remainder of IQ (incorporating that X or 'wow' factor.

So there is a *big* difference between the 16-50 and 16-45, despite the similar numbers presented. My experience with the 16-50 has been nothing but excellent, whereas with the 16-45 it was less impressive.
Where could we find a measure of the Tamron 17-50's microcontrast performance?

11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
This one.

Pentax SMC-DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL - Review / Test Report - Analysis
11-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I went through a similar discussion some time ago and naively also believed MTF was the holy grail of IQ tests, but alas it's not that simple.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49602-da*-16-5...e-quality.html

Jay Sherman rightly states that the MTF data fails to reflect microcontrast,
which impact on sharpness and colour rendition, which then along with resolution makes up the remainder of IQ (incorporating that X or 'wow' factor.

So there is a *big* difference between the 16-50 and 16-45, despite the similar numbers presented. My experience with the 16-50 has been nothing but excellent, whereas with the 16-45 it was less impressive.
I figured that much since no two MTF50 test are the same even though they are testing the same lens. But I still take it for something as long as the average test is good.
11-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Where could we find a measure of the Tamron 17-50's microcontrast performance?
Nowhere. Microcontrast and 3D are a couple of those difficult-to-measure features of an image that makes it pop. But MTF data is as good as we'll get for resolution.

See this informative article for more on this:
Understanding Lens Contrast

11-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
ewig: ok then perhaps you can share your experience here..so we can read it together .... thx anyway ..
ewig: I have shared it here, many, many times. This question is another perrenial one of the forum. In the Tammy Club, there must be 100 shots with the Tamron 17-50. If a pic says a thousands word..............well, you know. Giving enough time to each forum thread isn't something I can do, especially around the holidays.

I find, the more clear the OP is on his/her needs, the more succinct my answer can be. Again, best of luck to you in your choices.
11-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The cons that you mention for the Tamron ain't really cons in my opinion. Although one can correct for the cons of the Pentax, it involves more work.

I don't have any of those lenses so I guess I'm not biased. From experience, I have barely missed a shot because 28mm (in the film days) was not wide enough. So I would go for the benefit of the f/2.8 instead of the 16mm.
11-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Ok I'm biased as I have the 16-45 lens (no experience of the Tamron I'm afraid) and I can definately say it performs very well for the photography I do - general street scenes, interiors (with and without flash), some architectural/landscapes, agricultural site records, seascapes, weddings/christenings and as a VERY effective close-up/macro optic (down to about 6-7 inches!).

This is the lens that is normally on my GX10 or GX20 camera. I've been using it for about 2 years and it's always given faultless service. I have often thought about getting the DA* 16-50 as a upgrade but have been put off by the cost and some adverse comments on the quality of some of the samples.

There have been a few times that I've cursed the max. f/4 and the intrusive effect of the on-camera flash on close-up. But the f/4 is constant and one learns to avoid using the camera flash - not much of a loss really. Other plus's I've found helpful - quick-shift focusing and internal focus/zooming (great if you're using a pola filter). Some cons, I allways use the supplied hood as I found a few times that without it, it did pick up some CA and was inclined to be a bit flarey (see comment below re. UV filter). No bad experience of B/distortion at 16mm but, there again, one could factor this out in PP.

One last thing. I used to use a good quality UV filter on the front. IMO this lens doesn't need one. In fact the flare I mentioned was mainly caused with the filter attached. The IQ is good with nice contrast and with a neutral tone.

Good luck with your choice - I know the lens I'd choose again.
11-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ewig: ok then perhaps you can share your experience here..so we can read it together .... thx anyway ..
This forum is chock full of threads like these if you search--here is one, for example, with pics & discussion.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/120145-tamron-...x-16-50mm.html

11-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
ewig: I have shared it here, many, many times. This question is another perrenial one of the forum. In the Tammy Club, there must be 100 shots with the Tamron 17-50. If a pic says a thousands word..............well, you know. Giving enough time to each forum thread isn't something I can do, especially around the holidays.

I find, the more clear the OP is on his/her needs, the more succinct my answer can be. Again, best of luck to you in your choices.
yeah .. i know ure busy ...
i mean a link of your work , or you can repost your picture here ...
its quiet simple

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
This forum is chock full of threads like these if you search--here is one, for example, with pics & discussion.

Tamron 17-50mm a worthy "downgrade" (from Pentax 16-50mm)???
i think , i have write before... i do search in this forum , just to know the basic of these two lens ... and i have read those thread....

happy holyday anyway...