Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lost my manual, could someone tell me

what the highest sync speed possible is for an external flash on the K10? Also, what external flash would you recommend? I needed this, oh, yesterday, so any advice is most greatly appreciated. I am getting ready to shoot a Quinceanera in a couple of weeks so I am going to try to get this unit right away.

THANKS!!

Misty

eta: I forgot to mention that I shoot strictly MANUAL, if that makes a difference.

09-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1/180s. HSS (high speed sync) allows you to go to 1/4000s. I recommend the Pentax 540. It has P-TTL, Auto, and full on manual power settings.
09-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, you confused me just a bit. Are you saying the highest ss I can accomplish is 1/180, or 1/4000?

Thanks for responding!
09-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Assuming you have an external flash (either Pentax 540/360 or the Sigma EF-500 DF SUPER), you can switch to HSS mode and go up to 1/4000s. Your range is reduced quite a bit though. You want this if you are doing outdoor fill flash. Indoors, you're fine with 1/180s.

How much do you know about using an external flash? I use my 540 all the time (indoors and out) so feel free to ask ?s.

09-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for offering. I actually don't know anything about using the external flash (I'm sure that's obvious by my questions).

I have a 1.4 50mm lens that seems to do well with low light situations, but I would like to have the external flash to possibly be able to use my 28-200 @ around 150-200 if possible.

I have been price comparing, and had searched some more and found out the Sigma was the same as the 540, but so much cheaper. I read that the recycle time is about 6 seconds for the Sigma, but haven't found out what it is for the 540. So do you think the Sigma is just as good? With either, am I going to be able to shoot continuously?

Any amount of time you have to spend to give me any advice you have, would be much appreciated. I have used an external flash a few times, and I know to bounce and diffuse the light, but that's about the extent of what I know.
09-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you lost your manual why not down load the PDF version from Pentax?

http://www.pentaxslr.com/files/scms_docs//K10D_Manual.pdf
09-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ooo, thanks! I'll go there in a jiffy!
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Normal flash waits until the curtain is fully opened before firing. Our K10D's maximum shutter speed that can expose a the whole frame is 1/180th of a second. That's why with the pop up flash, you can't get the shutter speed to go past 1/180th of a second.

Any shutter speed faster than 1/180th on our cameras requires the 2nd curtain to start closing before the first curtain has completely opened. This is where HSS (High Speed Sync) flashes come in. Instead of flashing only once, it will fire multiple flashes (timed exactly) so that parts of the sensor that were once covered up during the previous flash moment, will now be exposed to a flash as well. In this mode, the flash can sync as fast as the camera can handle. In our case, 1/4000th of a second.

Hope that makes sense.

09-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Normal flash waits until the curtain is fully opened before firing. Our K10D's maximum shutter speed that can expose a the whole frame is 1/180th of a second. That's why with the pop up flash, you can't get the shutter speed to go past 1/180th of a second.

Any shutter speed faster than 1/180th on our cameras requires the 2nd curtain to start closing before the first curtain has completely opened. This is where HSS (High Speed Sync) flashes come in. Instead of flashing only once, it will fire multiple flashes (timed exactly) so that parts of the sensor that were once covered up during the previous flash moment, will now be exposed to a flash as well. In this mode, the flash can sync as fast as the camera can handle. In our case, 1/4000th of a second.

Hope that makes sense.
That does make sense actually, and thank you for taking a minute to explain.