Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, after looking at many sample images I chose the DA15/4 over the 14/2.8, and the 14/2.8 hasn't really entered my mind since. The colors are unmatched, the small size and weight is fantastic, the distortion is minimal, and the DOF works well for video or close action with subjects moving unpredictably around the frame.

11-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote

I was looking for 24mm since I got 31ltd. It's a terrific lens but the gap between 20/5.6 end of my Sigma UWA and 31/1.8 was huge in my mind.
My first stop was Sigma 24/2.4 Ultra Wide II AF. I thought it would give me all I wanted but it's not all gold that's shiny....It was a good lens but the colour rendition and contrast were not the best and flare resistance nothing to write home about.

So I sold it (with loss of course) and 6 months down the line I bought SMC 24/2.8 (K series). Now this was serious contender, with great colours and contrast and sharpness just slightly behind the Sigma. Overall rendering was great but my MF with combination of 24mm and 2.8 wasn't the best and since there is really tiny portion of the turn which is between 3m and infinity, I was ending up with quite a few OOF shots. So I sold it (this time I broke even) and decided I don't need 24mm after all....

best regards
Peter
Peter-
thx so much for this excellent and enlightening review. I assume you meant Sigma 24/2.8 Ultra Wide II not 2.4...
I also have the Sigma and find the same with regards to color rendition and flare resistance. I'll have to see if I can find my examples to post but then again this thread is more about the Pentax 24/2.
I've been lusting for a 24-35mm equivalent for APS-C and have been debating between the DA15, DA21, and FA24/2. Your review makes me lust even more for the FA24. If not for my poor man's FA24 (Sigma that is...) and the FA24's price my lust will be satiated.

By chance would you be able to comment on the FA24 vs DA21?
11-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Peter for an excellent write up: My experience couldn't be more different. I guess it comes down to individual copy differences. I tried two different copies of the FA *24mm f/2.0 BOTH copies rendered the same. Good color, good flare and CA resistance and terrible terrible wide open and close focus results. From f/2.0 to f4.0 output from both lenses was unuseable. But f/5.6 the images were very sharp as long as you didn't try to close focus. The lens is supposed to focus in at under 12" but neither copy I had could do better than 20". Anything under that length was fuzzy and just plain weird. Couple close focus and wide open and you got horrible horrible bokeh and an image that was sometimes unrecogniseable. So I gave up and got the Sigma 24mm f/1.8. Much better lens. Good close focus, nice and contrasty, it's only real failing is lack of flare resistance and CA. However I can live with that for sharp images at f/1.8 and good close focus.

NaCl( and your mileage WILL vary)H2O
11-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
By chance would you be able to comment on the FA24 vs DA21?
I posted a couple of comaprision shots here when I had them both...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74789-pentax-f...quisition.html