Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Worth It To Clean It? PK 28MM Lens

I was given a Sears KXS today. I don't know if the camera actually works or not. It needs batteries, but there's a 28MM MC Sears PK 1:2.8 (#840227175) lens attached and it definitely needs to be cleaned.

Fungus, not bad, but I wouldn't want to put it on my *ist until it was cleaned. Note, I don't see any sign of a ricoh pin on this one which surprised me as this is supposed to be an old Ricoh made camera? Worth it to try to clean it? I don't actually have a prime 28MM in K mount yet.

Pics in a bit. I'm just getting in and I have to get dinner started, the pets fed et all.

Thanks!

11-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the lens I'm thinking of, it actually isn't too terrible. If you're thinking about Paying to Have it cleaned, I'd say not worth it. However, if it's something you want to tackle yourself, it's worth the effort.

What's for dinner and what time shall I be there??

11-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, I'm going to tackle it myself if I decide to go there. A friend of mine has a set of those jeweler's screwdrivers he said he'd lend me and I thought I'd try to clean it myself if it looks like it's just on the front or rear element. I'm not sure as yet. I think inside of front but I'm just not sure.

Dinner?

Nothing exciting, just sloppy joes with manwich sauce. I've got too much cooking to do tomorrow to even think about anything more than that tonight. We'd have eaten McDonald's but I actually don't have the $$$ for fast food right now. Fortunately the freezer is stocked!
11-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't pay for it, you can replace that less for 50-100 and a cleaning would cost you more. Please disregard my stating that you should try it out, I was under a false impression of fungus' safety.

Looks like it could be dangerous. Still, I would suspect it's better to risk cleaning it yourself than paying for it, when you could easily pick up another 28 2.8 (not exactly a rare lens).

Last edited by paperbag846; 11-24-2010 at 06:40 PM.
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it a KSX or KSX-P? The KSX-P was a clone of the Chinon Program-5. Sears lenses made by Chinon didn't have the Ricoh pin.
11-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you are using a phillips screwdriver to take it apart, make sure you have a size 00 available. Otherwise you have a good chance of stripping the screw/bolt head.
11-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
KSX, regular. It's not the later P version. Couldn't the regular KSX take the chinon lenses okay? I would think so. Maybe the person who had it bought the wide angle later? Someone left it in a desk and never claimed it apparently. That's how I got it. Someone thought I could use it and handed it to me earlier today. But no one even knows who owned it originally.

In any case the lens actually says PK on it above the apertures etc. It also says macro 1:10-1:8. It's not the standard 50mm kit lens I'm seeing on the web pages that talk about the KSX. I'm hoping it's a regular 28MM PK lens anyhow and that I can clean it okay. I've been looking for one.

You can't even see the glass is marred though unless you look at it in very strong light. It's like branches on a winter tree. I'm pretty sure it's fungus anyhow. I don't even know that it will affect the pics much, but I don't want to risk it on my *ist till I know it can't do any damage. I don't see anything that looks even vaguely like a pointy pin. I'm thinking it's just a straight PK lens. Looks like it.

Sorry, this is the best I can do. I'm getting really awful pics. I'm really not used to the macro on the *ist as yet. I'm also very tired and not doing very well with focusing at all, even holding it up to the light. I want to find my pen light and take another shot at it in the morning when my hands are steady. I've been typing half the day and I'm literally so tired I can't hold the camera steady enough to get a good shot. 150 shots later they're all coming out very blurred from camera shake. I'll try with an even higher iso and maybe a flash in the morning.

Oh, and yes, I did clean it on the outside, both front and lack with lens cleaner. Whatever it is? It's definitely inside the lens, not outside unfortunately.

Last edited by magkelly; 11-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.
11-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
If you are using a phillips screwdriver to take it apart, make sure you have a size 00 available. Otherwise you have a good chance of stripping the screw/bolt head.
Better to get a set of JIS screwdrivers.

Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Steel

You might also need a way to open the lens from the front

Lens Ring Tool Set

If it's built anything like the Auto Sears MC 50 1.7 it will open from the front.
11-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the lens is not all that valuable, but, once you start taking it apart, you may discover that it is relitively easy to do, and that may cause you to look at some other Junk lenses that are a lot more interesting, at really good prices
11-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i ave picked up 2 smc m 28s (a 2.8 and a3.5) for a grand total of $30 so i wouldn't pay to fix it but it might be fun to take apart and try and get back together properly (if it's only 2 elements it may not be too hard)
I have a spare 50 1.7 that may need it that came in with a kit i bought. i may try it with that myself (good way to learn)
11-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

this site may help you decide if it's worth it

Disassembly and Cleaning of the F1.4 50mm Super Takumar Lens
11-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This seems to lack electrical contacts so there should be no Ricoh pin either?
11-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Definitely not worth it looking at this link! (Thanks, Eddie.) The front filter ring is a bit damaged and I'd probably drive myself crazy trying to pry it off and go in from the front. I'm probably just going to toss the lens and offer the camera up to the guys on the CCF for parts. I've got a couple of them I'm thinking they can use the parts from actually. Thanks guys for all the info. Appreciate it.
11-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

pretty much what i though once i read the link
11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would only do it for interest sake, but it could be fun if you enjoy that sort of thing.