Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question re manual lenses

All the lenses I have so far with my K10D are auto everything. I'm interested in some of the older M42 mount and Pentax M lenses, but before I purchase one I want to be sure what I'm getting. Obviously these are all manual focus, and none can be used in shutter priority. My question is this: Will the camera automatically adjust the shutter speed for correct exposure once I've selected the aperture setting? I assume this would have to be done in aperture priority? Also would the camera flash the little red "in focus" circle when the subject is correctly in focus? Thanks for your response.

CN

09-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
All the lenses I have so far with my K10D are auto everything. I'm interested in some of the older M42 mount and Pentax M lenses, but before I purchase one I want to be sure what I'm getting. Obviously these are all manual focus, and none can be used in shutter priority. My question is this: Will the camera automatically adjust the shutter speed for correct exposure once I've selected the aperture setting? I assume this would have to be done in aperture priority? Also would the camera flash the little red "in focus" circle when the subject is correctly in focus? Thanks for your response.

CN
The lenses can be used in Av mode but K mount lenses will function at full apature only, M42 will give stopped down metering in AV mode.

They can also be used in manual mode, where the camera can be set to pick the correct shutter speed for the apature set, when you press the green button.

The old lenses WILL NOT work for flash photography.
09-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
all the D, DS , andDS2 work magnificenly with flash shoe attatched TTL flashes and the older lenses. the onboard does not.
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
all the D, DS , andDS2 work magnificenly with flash shoe attatched TTL flashes and the older lenses. the onboard does not.
Perhaps I will rephrase this.

Old lenses don't work on the K10 for flash photography.

09-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Underexposures with m42 lens

The lenses can be used in Av mode but K mount lenses will function at full apature only, M42 will give stopped down metering in AV mode.

They can also be used in manual mode, where the camera can be set to pick the correct shutter speed for the apature set, when you press the green button.

Thank you so much for the inputs. I have a m42 pentacon 50mm f/1.8. Upon using in Av mode with (m) setting on aperture ring in my k100d, I need to dial in +2.0 Ev compensation to get proper exposures.

And Mike mentions something about the trick on using aluminum foil to cover a connection to reduce the underexposures from +2.0 Ev to roughly +0.3 Ev. I wonder if others using m42 in K10d, K100D, DS, DL and D*ist have similar underexposures and overexposures problems.

Please share with me on the exposures problems you run into with M42 lens and if that stops you from exploration with M42 lens. So far, the underexposures has dampen my high spirit in my m42 lens. Some blog posts related to my m42 lens

Picture (courtesy of FotoPete) on genuine and 3rd party adapter

m42 adapter blog post:
Pentax M42 adapters - Hin's Tech Corner

Picture how bowers adapter flushed onto the K mount in k100d

Custom settings with m42 adapter blog post:
Setup with Pentax M42 mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner

How my pentacon looks with antique color in sepia done in Picasa sepia

pentacon 50mm f/1.8 -- how it looks blog post:
Pentax M42 Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 - Hin's Tech Corner

Picasa Sepia
Picasa Sepia - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin
09-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #6

This past weekend I went on my first shoot with my brand new K100D, including a M80-200/4.5 lens that I purchased from roy, and the manual lens does work differently from what I expected.

When the lens is attached to the camera and doing nothing, the aperture is always wide open no matter what the aperture ring is set, so it's bright looking through the viewfinder. After I set the aperture ring to what I want, I press the AE-L button to meter. Pressing the button stops down to the aperture that I had set, it meters, and goes wide open again, all in less than a second. The shutter speed is set, which can be adjusted or over-ridden with the command dial. Now I can push down the shutter button to snap the photo.

I got this down towards the end of the day, it was fun, I definitely enjoyed using it, but it did take some getting used to and it's challenging for moving subjects.

As Lowell explained, a M42 lens behaves differently from the M lenses, I haven't used them yet.

Alex
09-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Perhaps I will rephrase this.

Old lenses don't work on the K10 for flash photography.
Let's further rephrase it:

Old lenses don't work with P-TTL.

Old lenses work just fine for flash photography provided one either figures out exposure manually or uses an auto-flash.
09-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Let's further rephrase it:

Old lenses don't work with P-TTL.

Old lenses work just fine for flash photography provided one either figures out exposure manually or uses an auto-flash.
Mike

Let's have fun with symantics. You are correct on the K10D, BUT on *istD (and I believe all derivites of it based upon other's postings), they do work with TTL flash.

09-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mike

Let's have fun with symantics. You are correct on the K10D, BUT on *istD (and I believe all derivites of it based upon other's postings), they do work with TTL flash.
Lowell, please. It isn't semantic.

QuoteQuote:
This means that you can not use M42 or K lenses with flashes. This is false, and it is not semantic to point it out.

Mike is correct - you can't use P-TTL flash with the K10. You can use a P-TTL flash (not in P-TTL mode) and non-P-TTL flashes as well. There is an FAQ on using flash with Pentax bodies in the FAQ section of Pentaxforums.
09-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I frequently use M42 lenses and K mount lenses. I have tried using flash, on board and off, and in auto flash mode neither works with either lens system. heavy diffusers are necessary as full brightness is initiated. *istDL2 by the way.
09-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mike

The K10 was all I was addressing, which I thought apparent from leaving it in the quoted text.

But by not being more specific I certainly left room for some less careful readers to come away with a mistaken impression. I think it is good that when we share information here we always make an effort to be as clear and as accurate as possible, so thank you for bringing that to my attention.