Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigonroad Quote

@bickrs where is Sheffield are you? I live in Crookes - would love a change to try out for lens for ten mins before I buy one. Any chance?

Thanks!
Chris
Not far from me then! I live in Malin Bridge. I'm happy for you to have a try out. I'll PM you shortly.

Cheers
Dave

11-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Chris,
Kit lens works fine. Personally, I prefer an umbrella kit and flashes to take pictures of babies. Controlling light will give you some unique pictures of the baby.

Best wishes.
11-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Seconded on the flash idea.
In the meantime though, I have this lens and rediscovered the joys of photography and manual focusing.
11-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Sorry, so above someone said A would do the autofocus. But actually I need F?
actully I think a lot of us said auto exposure, but not auto focus.

11-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Seconded on the flash idea.
In the meantime though, I have this lens and rediscovered the joys of photography and manual focusing.
Do you have any problems with metering with the M lens as Lowell pointed out?

Chris
11-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The FA50 is somewhat notoriously bad at auto focus (in my experience) in that situation, especially with the camera set to AWB (Auto White Balance).
That's disappointing to hear. Is the AF influenced by the WB setting then!?
11-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

it will be tough to find either an F or FA for the price you mentioned on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) the A 50 1.4 or 1.7 should be attainable. I have the M 501.7, M 50 2.0, K55 1.8, Super tak 55 f1.8 and use a k 10d, all suffer metering issues and are full maanual on this body. if you are not used to MF the A series will let you concentrate on focus and composition and give better flash results as well. If you do go down the MF road then you will want to consider a split prism focus screen it will make it much simpler
Good luck
11-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

For AF have you considered the new DA 35 f2.5, it's not far off these prices and gives a normal field of view and has had some very good reviews (i've considered one myself, old eyes just don't focus like they used to)

11-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
That's disappointing to hear. Is the AF influenced by the WB setting then!?
I can't say for sure. All I know for certain is with the K10d/FA50 combo, I had at least a 25% Miss rate in situations that people readily recommend this lens for. It may have simply been the type of lighting and the camera's AF system. However, where the FA50 would fail me (with auto focus), the cheapo kit lens locked right on almost every time. Outdoors, in 'good' light, the FA50 performed flawlessly and most of the good things people said about it became true (sharp, nice bokeh, etc). I replaced it with the FA43.

I've had 3 other copies since then, on 2 upgrade cameras (K20/K7) and didn't note any major issues with it. In other words, where the FA50 would fail, so too would most of my other (then) lenses. That particular K10d was a first production run camera so I was the first kid on the block with one, so to speak. I've never tried one with another K10d to say it would happen in ALL cases.

For MY money, paying at least $200 more (new, from B&H at $359) over an A 50 f1:1.4 just to get auto focus, simply isn't worth it. Then again, I'm one of the people who paid a net of $149 after rebate for that first (new) copy.

11-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Do you have any problems with metering with the M lens as Lowell pointed out?

Chris
Chris

with respect to the K10D and metering, let's begin with a little graph, which I have posted mo may times before, but....it remains wirthwhile

It is especially relevant since we are discussing the K10D and 50mmF1.4 manual aperture lenses. The K50 and M50 F1.4 lenses are virtually identical optically.

The chart below shows how my cameras (*istD, K10D and K7D) all meter with my 50mmF1.4. Note that I have tried the K10D with 3 different focusing screens, and this shows that the metering issue is largely the focusing screen. Presently I have a chineese split image focusing screen installed.

To understand the graph, yoou need to know that each real stop, in terms of exposure is about 45 greyscale, when the exposure is in the middle of the histogram.

What you see below is the greyscale values of the histogram for a concrete block wall (I know it isn't an interesting subject). I measure the center 10% approximately of the frame.

The issue with the K10D was strongly debated several years ago, and out of curiosity, I put my *istD screen into the K10D for a little test, because many forum members had commented that the K10D metered better with manual lenses AFTER they installed a split image screen. Since the K10D and *istD screens are mechanically interchangeable (although different in finish) , and since my *istD metered so much better with my 50mm, I though what the hell.

The test speakes for itself. Same lens, different bodies, but simply change out the focusing screen and I can match perfectly the metering performance.

This is partly why I suggested an A lens. You don;t want to be manually thinking about exposure when the little one is doing something cute. You want to be in auto mode, and point and shoot, An A lens will allow this, a K/M lens won't.

The other real issue is flash. The K10D only supports P-TTL with the built in flash (You can do manual flash at full power also, or using a flash with it's own sensor Auto mode), but P-TTL requires to know the open aperture, and requires the camera control the Aperture, so that it can calculate the flash needed. For P-TTL you need an A series lens. Again, you are not going to spend time doing flash calculations or foasl set-up when the little one is doing something cute, you want to pop up the flash and shoot.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 11-26-2010 at 09:38 AM.
11-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, overall it would be best to hunt for the A 50mm 1.7.

The M 50mm 1.7 is more troublesome to use, and it is worth 25 extra bucks to avoid the hassle.

Most cameras have problems focusing in low light. The issue here is that when you switch the FA 50 1.4 to manual focus, you will have a harder time than the A or M lenses, because the focusing ring on the FA is rather poor in comparison to the A and M, which were designed for manual focus. Camera companies have really cut down on the focusing ring quality on many lenses to save cost after autofocus became the standard way of doing things. However, in low light, manual focus is superior.

So, if you see yourself using it in mostly low light, it makes sense to buy the manual focus lens, because AF will not help you in that situation anyways.

I don't think you will really miss that extra half-stop, because it's very hard to use f1.4 anyways. You will want to be stopping either lens down beyond f2 to get a good photo of your baby.
11-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #27
Forum Member

Not sure if you made up your mind yet or not, but my vote is the M 50 1.7. I was in the same situation you are (just had a baby) and I couldn't spring for a AF prime at the time. It takes great pictures, but I have to use live view on my K-7 to get the focus right. If I didn't use live view, I would only be stuck with the single AF light in the center of the viewfinder to confirm focus, and I do not like all of my subjects in the center of the frame. This can be ok sometimes, but often it makes for a boring picture (doesn't follow rule of thirds). But, the lens is very solid, very sturdy and a joy to use otherwise. Bokeh is great, and so is the color. Mine isn't as sharp as others claim though. Quite sharp, but no sharper than my kit lens. For portraits of your kids that is not a bad thing. Good luck, and congratulations on the new baby!