Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA15mm Lens Cap

Just wondering - is it safe to put regular clip-on lens caps on the DA15 ? I just got it and, like on the DA40, hate the screw-in cap, but I'm a bit paranoid that it'll touch the front element, which does seem to curve outwards a bit.

11-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you could throw a filter on the lens for non-critical use?
11-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a hunch that it'll touch, but you should try it and find out - it's not going to cause any damage if you're gentle about it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've been using a generic clip on cap on my 15 for several months now with absolutely no problems. Only the outer edge of the cap extends below the filter threads, the rest is recessed. The front element of course does not extend beyond the threads, or using filters would be impossible.

I also did an experiment to prove that it does not touch: breathe a bit of condensation onto the front element, and quickly cap it before it evaporates. Then turn the cap. Take it off and see if anything has been traced into the condensation. Mine shows nothing.

I seriously doubt it's even possible to scratch the glass with plastic. Glass is very hard, and only harder substances can scratch it, like hardened steel or sand. Plastic is pretty soft in comparison.

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-25-2010 at 06:46 AM.
11-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The metal screw on cap is a joke. I took mine off and promptly bought a snap on cap.
11-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi, I can guarantee that newer 49mm cap (O-LC49) works perfectly without any scratch on front lens element. Easy-grab design makes this cap very easy to remove compare to the old 49mm cap.
11-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The metal screw on cap is a joke. I took mine off and promptly bought a snap on cap.
Well, the metal screw-on cap is nicely crafted and quite secure, but a bit more troublesome to use. I'm keeping mine in the original box and am now using the standard 49mm Pentax clip-on cap (like the kind that comes on the FA 50, etc.), with no problem.