Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
clinton
looking at your signature and the list of lenses that you have im quite in awe..and think that you have a serious case of LBA..

I see that you have the FA 80-200 and the DA* 50-135...my question is how do they compare IQ wise?

thanks


Last edited by Tommot1965; 11-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
11-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I really wish Sigma would get behind this and get us some TCs that worked....
Yeah sad that we have given up on Pentax and are now looking to 3rd party lensers to come to the party.
11-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,826
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
clinton
looking at your signature and the list of lenses that you have im quite in awe..and think that you have a serious case of LBA..
Sadly, it's all but cured unless some manufacturer (IE: Sigma) starts producing unbeatable glass. It's possible that Sigma can outperform the Pentax optical engineers, but I'm waiting to see it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I see that you have the FA 80-200 and the DA* 50-135...my question is how do they compare IQ wise?
I'll refer you to Adam's review of this lens:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:
If I had to live with only a single lens, this is the one I'd choose. It boasts unmatched sharpness, bokeh, and overall color rendition, as well as the Pentax-exclusive power zoom function. Image quality is like that of a prime.
I personally feel that the lens in IQ terms is on par with the DA* 50-135, but it's size and weight are substantially larger and heavier.

Fortunately, both me and my partner shoot so having two F2.8's in this range works out ok for us.
11-29-2010, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The exact same thing. I have the Sigma 70-20mm F2.8 EX DC Macro HSM II and it works with my Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter, although AF does seem slightly slower (still HSM silent), and it can hunt a bit at the very long end.
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have the Kenko too, and the Tamron TC. But I've been waiting for conclusive reports regarding their ability to be used on the Sigma 70-200 HSM. I would use it at the long and a lot. So it seems it's a bit iffy, damn.
It's weird. I can easily lock-on focus with two or 3 stops of light loss (2x TC + polarizing filter) with my Sigma 300/2.8 (screw drive of course), than the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM coupled with the Tamron 1.4x Pz TC. Hunt to no focus lock is excessive in anything but say EV13/14 and above. At least that's what I've found when trying it in less than optimal light.

11-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
just looking at Photo zone and dpreview at the MTF ratings of the FA-70-200mm and the new Sigma 70-200mm..it would seem that the FA dumps on the sigma...and after reviewing all the new Nikon and canon lens of the same focal length the said FA lens dumps them too! and by a large
margin

how accurate are one sites test of MTF over another?..be nice to find a tester thats done all the lenses that I want results for
I don't think you can accurately compare MTF results from one site to another.
11-29-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
yep thats what Im thinking too...
11-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
I don't think you can accurately compare MTF results from one site to another.
It has been said, nor from one camera manufacturer's platform to the other.
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
It's weird. I can easily lock-on focus with two or 3 stops of light loss (2x TC + polarizing filter) with my Sigma 300/2.8 (screw drive of course), than the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM coupled with the Tamron 1.4x Pz TC. Hunt to no focus lock is excessive in anything but say EV13/14 and above. At least that's what I've found when trying it in less than optimal light.
Thanks. I have no trouble with my screw drive 70-200 and 1.4x too. Another nail in the Pentax coffin for my uses.

11-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,410
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
anyone else saving for one of these. or intrested???
Not me. I have an HSM II version and I'm quite pleased with it. If I were to jump versions, it would be back to the non-HSM version. The TC issue doesn't concern me, btw--I use it for it's natural FL.
11-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
just looking at Photo zone and dpreview at the MTF ratings of the FA-70-200mm and the new Sigma 70-200mm..it would seem that the FA dumps on the sigma...and after reviewing all the new Nikon and canon lens of the same focal length the said FA lens dumps them too! and by a large
margin

how accurate are one sites test of MTF over another?..be nice to find a tester thats done all the lenses that I want results for
FA 70-200mm? I guess you meant 80-200mm
11-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Original Poster
yes i did
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guess Whos a Pentaxian* Isaac314 Photographic Technique 2 10-25-2008 03:19 PM
Whos that on my patio??? robert Post Your Photos! 5 06-20-2008 08:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top