Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 70-200mm OS..whos saving?

I want the new sigma 70-200 OS..not for its OS..but its had a great write up for its IQ..so im saving cause its a OS..its a lot more expensive than the older HSM II..{which I have }

anyone else saving for one of these. or intrested???

11-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Always interested, especially if anyone made a compatible 1.4x TC.
11-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ive a 1.5 TC that works with the Sigma HSMII..its a Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter..Tom was selling them in the market place
11-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would have to have an order of magnitude improvement in performance for me to consider upgrading.

I own the origonal Sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX Non DG Non Macro. I use it with both 1.4x and 2x Sigma TCs. Performance has been excellent over the 7 years I have now used this pairing with my digital cameras starting with the *istD.

So, unless there is a real difference in optical performance, I will stand pat. Not to mention the lack of any TC supporting HSM and pentax mount from sigma.

11-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
ive a 1.5 TC that works with the Sigma HSMII..its a Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter..
The exact same thing. I have the Sigma 70-20mm F2.8 EX DC Macro HSM II and it works with my Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter, although AF does seem slightly slower (still HSM silent), and it can hunt a bit at the very long end.
11-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The exact same thing. I have the Sigma 70-20mm F2.8 EX DC Macro HSM II and it works with my Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter, although AF does seem slightly slower (still HSM silent), and it can hunt a bit at the very long end.
I have the Kenko too, and the Tamron TC. But I've been waiting for conclusive reports regarding their ability to be used on the Sigma 70-200 HSM. I would use it at the long and a lot. So it seems it's a bit iffy, damn.
11-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It would have to have an order of magnitude improvement in performance for me to consider upgrading.

I own the origonal Sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX Non DG Non Macro. I use it with both 1.4x and 2x Sigma TCs. Performance has been excellent over the 7 years I have now used this pairing with my digital cameras starting with the *istD.

So, unless there is a real difference in optical performance, I will stand pat. Not to mention the lack of any TC supporting HSM and pentax mount from sigma.

I don't think you need the upgrade, as your lens is generally accepted as the best of the current Sigma...does yours have the HSM?

the current Tamron was my first choice based on IQ alone. but after testing one I didn't like the noisy screw-drive and its clutch type Manuel focus ring..but the new OS from sigma looks to beat the Tamron based on the DP reviews of both....right at the long end, the Tamron has a slight advantage..but only a smidge. everywhere else the OS lens is better...

11-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have the Kenko too, and the Tamron TC. But I've been waiting for conclusive reports regarding their ability to be used on the Sigma 70-200 HSM. I would use it at the long and a lot. So it seems it's a bit iffy, damn.

yes the Kenko at the 200mm end does make the HSM II lens hunt a bit... particularly in low light , thats with a K7...dunno if a K5 would be better though..due to its better AF??
11-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think you need the upgrade, as your lens is generally accepted as the best of the current Sigma...does yours have the HSM?
As I said, mine is an origonal, screw drive, pre digital coatings.

best long lens I have seen, outside of things in excess of 100 mm in diameter, and weighing 5-10 pounds, (costing $1000 per pound)
11-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want the new sigma 70-200 OS..not for its OS..but its had a great write up for its IQ..so im saving cause its a OS..its a lot more expensive than the older HSM II..{which I have }

anyone else saving for one of these. or intrested???
Why? Why when you can go on ebay and pick up the FA* 80-200/2.8 for less? If you need HSM hmm.. maybe. I'd be surprised if it's sharper than this piece of epic glass.

A quote from another similar thread:
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
If the Sigma 85 is as good as the Zeiss 85, I'll buy two and wear them on my nipples.
11-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much better would in-lens OS be over in-body OS?
11-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Why? Why when you can go on ebay and pick up the FA* 80-200/2.8 for less? If you need HSM hmm.. maybe. I'd be surprised if it's sharper than this piece of epic glass.

A quote from another similar thread:
yep Id like HSM...and a lens that's not knocked about, as I've yet to see a FA 80-200 that don't looked like its been lived in!....also the consensus is that the original sigma 70-200mm screwdrive was sharper than the FA 70-200...this is reports from owners of both that I've read online..
sorry i cant give links to said articles..as i didn't bookmark them and only came across them while trawling the webb

so if the new sigma OS offering is sharper than the very first sigma APO lens...it should knock off a FA 70-200 from fabled legend..LOL
11-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just looking at Photo zone and dpreview at the MTF ratings of the FA-70-200mm and the new Sigma 70-200mm..it would seem that the FA dumps on the sigma...and after reviewing all the new Nikon and canon lens of the same focal length the said FA lens dumps them too! and by a large
margin

how accurate are one sites test of MTF over another?..be nice to find a tester thats done all the lenses that I want results for
11-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have the original 70-200, screw drive, but I would exchange it for the new one just for HSM, if a compatible TC was available of course.
11-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
if a compatible TC was available of course.
I'm not holding my breath.

I really wish Sigma would get behind this and get us some TCs that worked with everyones lenses, or even all their lenses...