Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

SMC takumar 1:2/55 Lens

Hello folks,
Can anybody help me? I have in my possession, quite a lot of camera gear that belonged to my late Brother-in-law and I am attempting to sell them on behalf of his Widow.I have had success using eBay but I am stuck trying to find any history on the above lens. As I don't want to avoid "giving" items away, does anyone know anything about it??
Thanks

11-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
This Pentax forums.com has reviews along with purchase information at this link.

Pentax M42 Screwmount Normal Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database
11-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks stover98074,
I have had a look at this link and although it does not list my particular lens (1.8 is the nearest) it has given me some idea of prices.
11-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by infoseeker Quote
Thanks stover98074,
I have had a look at this link and although it does not list my particular lens (1.8 is the nearest) it has given me some idea of prices.
You did not look carefuly

SMC/Super-/Auto-Takumar 55mm F2 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

11-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Poga,
I think I need some new "lenses" as well.
Regards
11-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The Tak or Super Tak 55/2 is an extremely good lens. It is also quite common, and quite cheap. It has exactly the same optics as the coveted Tak 55/1.8; its aperture is just mechanically limited from opening the slight bit further. I've seen 55/1.8's sell for US$50 (and I just bought a much more desirable Super Tak 50/1.4 for less than that) while the near-twin 55/2 like yours WON'T SELL for US$10.

In short: This is the wrong time to sell a Tak 55/2. Wait a few months. I will hang onto mine until the usual sales price hits US$30. Until then, it's not worth selling.
11-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Tak or Super Tak 55/2 is an extremely good lens. It is also quite common, and quite cheap. It has exactly the same optics as the coveted Tak 55/1.8; its aperture is just mechanically limited from opening the slight bit further. I've seen 55/1.8's sell for US$50 (and I just bought a much more desirable Super Tak 50/1.4 for less than that) while the near-twin 55/2 like yours WON'T SELL for US$10.

In short: This is the wrong time to sell a Tak 55/2. Wait a few months. I will hang onto mine until the usual sales price hits US$30. Until then, it's not worth selling.
RioRico, where are you "seeing" these lenses sell for the prices you quote above? Here in the forum? Where you live? I ask because all else I've read indicates screwmount Takumars have been "discovered" by the public and are going at higher prices than the past few years. Other threads in this forum lament how "crazy" the Ebay auctions are in regards to what Taks are selling for. I'm not saying that the OP's 55/2 is worth its weight in gold, but I think telling the guy his lens "is not worth selling" might be a bit strong right now. I've had good success selling my Taks as of late, and while I won't retire on the money, I didn't give them away either.

Things aren't that bad for Tak sellers. At least in the places that I buy and sell.