Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LCA: Barely-zooms? Near-primes?

About the thread title: "LBA" doesn't quite seem to apply when one isn't spending appreciable money, so I thought I'd substitute Collecting for Buying here.

I recently got the chance to pick up a couple of short-zooms, by which I don't mean short lenses, but lenses with just a 2x or lower zoom factor. Specifically I found an M75-150/4 and an M28-50/3.5-4.5, which had been used by the same guy as a two-lens kit with an old ME Super. The camera turned out to be junk, even missing some parts, but the lenses were in great shape. The 28-50 is not a lot of use on my DL as I already have the kit lens which covers that range nicely and with autofocus; I'll probably use it mostly for film. But the 75-150 is now my best medium-long zoom, as all I had before was the A80-200. Which isn't a lens to be ashamed of using or anything, but, you know.

Maybe if I stopped buying junk for a while I'd save enough in my hobby budget to at least pick up a DA50-200 or something. Still, taking the M75-150/4 up to the Iowa State campus today I really enjoyed shooting with it. It's not terribly heavy, and the zoom range, while narrow, is a pretty useful one with the 1.5 factor.

100% crop (sharpened slightly in GIMP):

I'm looking forward to more shooting with this.