Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You just stated what you believed to be true m8o, and you did the right thing.

And trust me on this, we've all taken more than our share of boring photo's.
And when you think about it there's nothing wrong with it on digital.

When I get a medium format film camera (possibly next week) you just know that I'll be very selective of what I'm photographing.
Just landscapes, where I know how they'll turn out, and also the odd person

Just a quick edit for anyone interested in this lens, in my opinion if the lens is in prime condition it's worth up to $50, but not a penny more.

Although I hardly ever use my Phoenix, which I believe to be the same lens you won't see me give it up.
You can however borrow it whenever your close to my place if any Pentax Forums member wants to

Last edited by little laker; 09-25-2007 at 09:36 PM.
09-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
I thought: let's be original and think this IS a 500mm/F1:1.8. But you would end up disappointed. So i'll be honest: I would not buy this lens. I have a 400mm/F5.9 that I never use. Too big for its performance. That will be only worse on F/8
This lens (and its numerous siblings sold under various brands) is not so bad, especially when you look at the price. It is mentioned on this page about Cult classic Lenses (under the name "500mm f/8 Telephoto Glass Lens"):
Cult Classics in Third Party Lenses

Herbert Keppler rated this lens as "surprisingly sharp" in Popular Photo. If you can manage manual focus and limited aperture (use a sturdy tripod), this lens should provide very nice results on a Pentax DSLR.

Cheers!
09-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In our "unused lens cabinet" my wife has a 500mm f8 Quantaray which looks similar as well. It has a doubler for 1000mm f16. The lens is pretty poor. It sits next to her 500 mm f 8 Quantaray mirror lens which is useless. You buy, you learn, you move on!
09-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #19
jro

According to this, this lens is the same thing and it's selling new for half the price the auction went for.

01-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #20

Toyo TOU/Five Star 500mm f8

I just acquired one of these from a guy I work with who bought it in the mid 80's and never used it. It says it utilizes the "popular T system of camera fittings". Is it possible for this to work on an ist DL or K10D? What sort of adapter/fitting would I need? I think it has some pretty bad fugus under the front element, so it'll probably end up being a shelf decoration or something.