Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

old lenses to look out for on ebay

I just got a K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 ...
and my friend recommends i get some manual lenses of ebay.....
BUT i have no idea what im looking out for! i dont want to buy a random one...
i want a really good macro lens but dont need a digital one....
or a portrait lens...
a lens good for low light is important for me too
or just overall known to be good, old pentax lenses...(like the 50mm 1.7 that ive heard off)

i really dont mind manual focus...

i have about £200-300 to spend on lenses....

11-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

A series lenses allow automatic aperture and multi-segment metering. M and K series lenses are limited to center-weight metering and have to be stopped down to get a meter reading.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
11-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
lol i dont know what you are saying...and i dont even know where to start with that first link.....
i was just hoping for some lens names ..thanks for response tho!!
im very new to all this so dont understand
11-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Pentax:

If you have a k-mount lens, the A series will be great to use different camera modes. You can use all you modes, but the focus will be manual. If you do to K or M lenses, many great lenses there as well, but you can't use all the modes, you'll have to stick to manual everything.
M42 lenses are awesome as well. I suggest Super Takumars, as many people will. I have a few myself I'm very happy with.

For macro, you can use the aforementioned lenses with simple extension tubes and you now have macro capability. Or a reverse ring to switch one of your primes around.

In dedicated Macro lenses, you can use Vivitar series 1s. I've seen awesome results with a lot of manual lenses, but I can speak of the ones I have experience with (well, experience is a big word. I have them and play with them, but I'm not necessarily good yet).
I have the 70-210 Series 1 (version 1 made by Kiron), and the Vivitar 55mm f2.8
I am nowhere close to being good enough yet to use them at their full potential!

QuoteOriginally posted by dupazbita Quote
With that budget, you can have a whole kit of great manual lenses.

11-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thankyou very much!
i will look into what you mentioned!
i didnt know A series are auto with everything buy focus...nice.
its just every time i type pentax lens into ebay im like "AHHHHH wth there are so many!"
and i panic and close browser
11-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
1,000,000th Poster!

lol i dont know what you are saying...and i dont even know where to start with that first link.....

That link is the holy grail of all my lens purchases. I strongly suggest you browse through the lens reviews. Don't be fooled by the ratings, as some will not rate every lens with the same criteria.
For example, if I buy and use a lens that costs $1,500 I will not wish it to perform as well as a fantastic $200 lens. It better be better. Otherwise I wil l rate it lower.
I have read all the comments on most lenses, and took note of the ones which might interest me.

But since you're brand new at this, I do believe you should practice with what you have first, and maybe get one or two quality manual lenses for now (i'd say you're on the right track with a Pentax 50mm f1.7, or better yet an f1.4)
It will get you used to them, and you'll find out what you need afterward.
Otherwise you might end up with a box full of great manual lenses that you will never use.
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
1,000,000th Poster!

its just every time i type pentax lens into ebay im like "AHHHHH wth there are so many!" and i panic and close browser
You have to do your homework before going to ebay. One thing though, you never know what you'll really get on ebay. You might end up with a lens that's less than perfect.
Some of those Takumars are 40 years old. They've stayed in good shape if the owners were careful, ready for another 40. But some owners aren't too careful...
I suggest you browse the marketplace here. You have to either post a lot or make a donation to this site to access it.
The members are all very responsible, and will clearly point out the condition of the lens. The prices, while sometimes a bit higher than ebay, are fair and reflect the quality of the lens.

11-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

ebay is hard to buy, too many people over bidding... I haven't seen anything cheap for days (except for some guy scoring 2X 50mm 1.4f (pentax-m) for 120... that shouldda been 200 on the open market.

I've been watching ebay like a hawk, nothing for a week or 2 now. There's people who's willing to bid 120+ on a lens that's listed 100BIN...

Better stick to deals from retail store.

1) I believe super takumar are all manual, this could get annoying quick (especially stopping down for every shot due to no aperture), same thing with the M.

2) The A version is manual focus (which is livable I think)

3) is the F/FA version full auto?

at any rate, your best bet might be hitting up goodwill, pawn shop and retail store for deals, ebay is a mess when it comes to lens (the market place on the forum is nice, but deals are rare here since everyone knows the prices).
11-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
3) is the F/FA version full auto?.
F series was the first series of Auto-Focus lenses built by Pentax. FA was the second series of Auto-Focus lenses.
11-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just got a K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 ...
and my friend recommends i get some manual lenses of ebay.....
BUT i have no idea what im looking out for! i dont want to buy a random one...
i want a really good macro lens but dont need a digital one....
or a portrait lens...
a lens good for low light is important for me too
or just overall known to be good, old pentax lenses...(like the 50mm 1.7 that ive heard off)

i really dont mind manual focus...

Before you start looking at old lenses to buy, use the lenses you have for a few months and find out what you like to shoot and where you want to focus on. Buying random lenses because someone tells you to usually means that you will have lenses that you use a few times and then they sit on a shelf.
11-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

dupazbita, just take some pictures with the lenses you have! Then when you figure out what pictures you can't take because of lens limitations, you will know what else to buy.
11-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice, alohadave. :-)
11-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Anything with A* in the name.....
But that will cost somewhat outside your budget, still you might get lucky.
11-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite simple. K series was the first series of K-mount lenses produced by Pentax. Only produced from 1975-1976. All metal construction, for the most part used the same optical formula as the SMC Takumars.

M series replaced the K series in 1977. Smaller and lighter than the K series to match the smaller M series cameras. More plastic used in construction, for the most part new optical formulas.

A series replaced the M series starting in 1983. First Pentax lenses capable of AE program mode. More plastic construction than the M series, known for flimsy aperture rings.

F series introduced Auto-Focus in 1987, well built ugly lenses. FA series replaced F series in 1990's. Plastic bodies to go with plastic cameras.

DA series replaced FA series with the introduction of APS-C digital cameras.
11-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for help guys....you are right i dont need to start buying lenses yet
its just that i ordered the camrea today and cannot wait to get it as its my first DSLR
so ive been trying to buy everything so that when it comes i will have everything....

so far ive gotten 2 uv hoya filters for cheap....
still deciding on what screen protection to use..ggs or acmaxxx....
and deciding if i should get the cheap transcend class 10...
or spend more for a sandisk....
for now i will just look for a m 50mm 1.7 lens
and a macro lens will be my next purchase after that (important to me)

sorry for starting this thread...but itl def help me in the near future!!!
and helped me understand alot, thanks alot for making things clear to me!!!