Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That is the wrong conclusion, since no megazoom lens is going to perform to the standards of a fine prime. Brand has nothing to do with it.

Rather, one should not have unrealistic expectations in the first place. This new Pentax zoom is fine for those who want wide focal length coverage with weather sealing at relatively slow maximum apertures. It is never going to compare with the DA70.

Whether it is priced reasonably for what it delivers is up to the individual to assess.

But certainly the OP has unreasonable expectations.
Exactly. I really don't know what people expected of this lens. The posted photos were good, as is Adam's test. Comparing it to the DA 70--among the sharpest prime teles I have had the pleasure of attaching to one of my camera bodies--seems like something one does only as a matter of curiousity.

12-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'm in agreement. I'd hoped this lens would exceed the 55-300 IQ. It just seems that a $200 price diff for "seals" and similar IQ is a bit much. From samples I've seen the IQ is not up to my expectations. Perhaps forthcoming samples will alter my opinion. Fl_Gulfer or anyone with this lens care to post samples?
Has someone tested against the 55-300? That would be closer to a fair comparison.
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The lens is just right with the K-5 since the ISO on the K-5 is execellent and the lens isn't that slow. I think they make a great team. Maybe not as good with the K-7 or K20d. But I'm very happy with it.
12-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
IQ on the Canon 18-135 is reported to be mediocre and the price is within 10% of the Pentax, but YMMV..... Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis
Thanks GeneV.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The lens is just right with the K-5 since the ISO on the K-5 is execellent and the lens isn't that slow. I think they make a great team. Maybe not as good with the K-7 or K20d. But I'm very happy with it.
I was thinking the same thing, but I have only a K20D.

12-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
what about on k-x? k-x's iso is good also.

i was looking for a lens that is sharp enough and fast for indoor conditions.
So, i am intended to buy a tamron 28-75/2.8 but this 18-135 has wider capability but a bit slow(but has fast AF claimed which is an important selection option for me).

BTW i have a 50/1.7 which has a great IQ, but not wide enough for indoor.
Since i used that prime, my sharpness expectation is a bit higher.
Which lens above can give near results to that prime? (or some other advices)

(of course i know that none of zooms can near to primes except 50-135, but i want to know how far indeed-- far may be wright word)

Thanks.
12-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might wish to check out the Vivitar Bestiary, which grew out of this thread: Vivitar 28mm As FA31mm Replacement?