Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In general, you can't. The registration distance for M39 (LTM) is less than that for any SLR, so you give up infinity focus unless there is a correction lens built into the adapter (not good). The one exception is M39 (Zenit SLR). Those lenses have the same registration distance as M42 and Pentax-K.

Steve
Yep:

My 37mm MIR (39mm mount) with the M42 adapter doesn't give me infinity focus.

11-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
Forum Member

Here's my shiny friend... I haven't actually mounted it on a digital camera yet.

11-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the Meyer wide angle and "normal" lenses are not only cool looking but decent performers as well, especially the Meyer 29/2.8. I have a "Zebra" Helios 58/2 sitting on my Contax D. I think I paid $15 for it.
11-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Many Exakta-mount German lenses are bright shiny metal, and cheap, like the fat Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 in front of me right now. Here is how to adapt such a lens for a Pentax mount:

* Obtain a cheap Bower-type M42-PK adapter, a cheaper M39-M42 adapter ring, some Gorilla Glue, and a sheet of 300-grit sandpaper.
* Set the sandpaper on a very flat hard surface.
* Grind away the lens-side (wider) flange of the M42-PK adapter to remove ~0.8mm, leaving just a a razor-thin flange.
* Use VERY LITTLE Gorilla Glue to secure the M39-M42 adapter ring around the Exakta bayonet. [NOTE: Gorilla Glue expands by 4x-6x times. It can get ugly.] You may need to remove a stop screw from the lens base. Don't lose it, in case you ever want to dissolve the glue and return the lens to its Exakta state.
* After the glue dries, screw the M42-PK adapter onto the lens. Voila! You now have infinity focus.

Another bright shiny cheap metal lens: the tiny Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 for Argus C3 rf's, often obtainable for US$10-20. I am awaiting delivery of a 42-43mm stepup ring (US$4), which I am told allows the Sandmar to have infinity focus on a Pentax camera when glued correctly. Or, drill a hole in a Pentax body cap, and use Gorilla Glue to hold the lens in place in the body cap. Ah, with that lens, you'll love the old-timey look, eh?