Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #31
Senior Member
aaronius's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Nice review Adam! Coincidentally, your review came out just 20 mins after I bought the 18-135mm! It is very reassuring to read the review and know that I didn't make the wrong choice.

I am now the proud owner of this super-fast focusing walkabout lens!

11-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #32
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,437
Thanks Adam for the review...as far as lens is concern, it looks like a overpriced mediocre lens to me - is WR a valid reason to pay premium over 18-250 ? I am not for this.
11-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Thanks Adam for the review...as far as lens is concern, it looks like a overpriced mediocre lens to me - is WR a valid reason to pay premium over 18-250 ? I am not for this.
How do you figure that there is a price premium? The DA 18-135 goes for an average of $460 online. That is about the same price as the Sigma 18-250. I believe the Sigma is the only 18-250 still made for the Pentax mount.
11-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida Gulfer
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,049
I have to agree with Adam. And also this is the FASTEST FOCUSING LENS I ever used by Pentax. It handles wonderfully and it looks great on the K-5.

11-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
Senior Member
Loren E's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington and California
Posts: 274
Gene V, isn't the price $529 right now? Where is it being offered for $460?
11-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #36
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Gene V, isn't the price $529 right now? Where is it being offered for $460?
Run a Google Products search. It comes up around that price in several locations. My point is that the price range is about the same as if you run a search for the Sigma 18-250--anywhere from the mid $400s to the mid $500s.
11-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #37
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,632
Original Poster
All I'm going to say is that there's bound to be a big difference in iq beteween this 7x zoom and a 15x superzoom. This lens isn"t mediocre, it's perfectly fine unless you're a pixel-peeper. Stop it down to f8 and you'll be in business at all focal lenghts.

I'm going as far as taking this lens as my only lens during my winter travels, as I won't be afraid to use it outdoors due to the wr, and have no fear of its being damaged since you can always buy a new one. That put aside though, it's the af on this lens that sits the sigma down.
11-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #38
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 132
The one very noticeable omission from the review is a mention of how bad or otherwise the barrel distortion is. This, in my opinion, is quite an oversight for a review of a superzoom lens.

11-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,208
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Run a Google Products search. It comes up around that price in several locations. My point is that the price range is about the same as if you run a search for the Sigma 18-250--anywhere from the mid $400s to the mid $500s.
I generally don't send my money to places called "Cut Rate Bazaar." Even if they do turn out to have the lenses, good luck if you need to return it etc. Plus, there is something fishy when U.S. vendors like Ador can't keep it in stock and BH doesn't even have it yet nor does Pentax Imaging.
11-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #40
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,208
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All I'm going to say is that there's bound to be a big difference in iq beteween this 7x zoom and a 15x superzoom. This lens isn"t mediocre, it's perfectly fine unless you're a pixel-peeper. Stop it down to f8 and you'll be in business at all focal lenghts.

I'm going as far as taking this lens as my only lens during my winter travels, as I won't be afraid to use it outdoors due to the wr, and have no fear of its being damaged since you can always buy a new one. That put aside though, it's the af on this lens that sits the sigma down.
Adam,
How would you rate it against the 17-70mm?
11-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 113
Nice review but it would be more helpful with border sharpness/CA 100% crops in addition to center comparison crops.

Also 17-70 shots for comparison would really help since many people are considering upgrade from that.
11-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I generally don't send my money to places called "Cut Rate Bazaar." Even if they do turn out to have the lenses, good luck if you need to return it etc. Plus, there is something fishy when U.S. vendors like Ador can't keep it in stock and BH doesn't even have it yet nor does Pentax Imaging.
No one says you should send your money to Cut Rate Bazaar. There are several others in the same price range, but none claim to have it in stock right now so I'm not sure that is fishy. They aren't claiming they have better stock.

I wouldn't pay about 90% of the price of the DA 18-135 for a Sigma 18-250 and call it a bargain. Concerns about a particular vendor aside, the point is that there is no cheap, well-tested 18-250 option being made for Pentax mount that makes this lens look like such a bad deal for the money. The only superzoom out there is the Sigma (for which I have seen no test in the Pentax mount), and it is pretty close to the same average price on the net and not that much cheaper comparing within Adorama or B&H.
11-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #43
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All I'm going to say is that there's bound to be a big difference in iq beteween this 7x zoom and a 15x superzoom.
You would think so, but that has been the problem with these lenses from other manufacturers so far--they weren't. The Sigma ~7x was no better performer than the Pentax/Tamron at 15x. The Canon was reputed to have fallen short in a similar way.
11-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,437
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
How do you figure that there is a price premium? The DA 18-135 goes for an average of $460 online. That is about the same price as the Sigma 18-250. I believe the Sigma is the only 18-250 still made for the Pentax mount.
Well, think of Tamron or DA 18-250 though discontinued for unknown reasons. Pretty good range and well respected and may be faster at 135 then 18-135mm. I am seriously failing to understand what is running in Pentax's mind.

At this moment, I am not going to put my money on this slow, limited focal range, overpriced piece of glass when my money can buy better stuff. But who knows, I may change my mind if the difference is exceptional which I strongly doubt at this moment.

@Adam, a comparison with other long zoom like 18-250 will certainly help, would you please include it in your review. Many would be having the same concern as I raised.
11-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #45
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,070
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All I'm going to say is that there's bound to be a big difference in iq beteween this 7x zoom and a 15x superzoom.
Not necessarily in terms of IQ. There are a couple of lenses, including primes, that are worse than my Tamron 18-250 super zoom for a certain focal length (range).

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Stop it down to f8 and you'll be in business at all focal lenghts.
Any lens stopped down to f/8 will get you into business. Few are weather-sealed but to perform at f/8 is not a recommendation, is it?

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Concerns about a particular vendor aside, ...
But isn't the rumour that the newer (cheaper) Pentax AF is more reliable than the old and slow SDM?

Sorry, but I don't like the Sigma bashing based on past years. Have a look at this comparison involving the Pentax 16-50, a Sigma 18-50 and the Tamron 17-50 and tell me the Pentax is the best. It surely doesn't come across like the best at all.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-135mm, da, da*, fa*, k-mount, kit, lens, motor, pentax lens, review, reviews, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-5 Full-length Review by PentaxForums.com Adam Pentax K-5 79 12-14-2011 02:53 AM
Full Length Portraits 31mm or 35mm candgpics Photographic Technique 9 09-25-2009 06:51 AM
first Pentax K-7 full review w/ FW 1.0 jogiba Pentax News and Rumors 125 08-18-2009 06:23 PM
Full length (super)telephoto portraits? CSoars Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 12-01-2008 01:28 PM
News Our First Full-Length Reviews! Adam Site Suggestions and Help 10 01-17-2007 06:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top