Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Any lens stopped down to f/8 will get you into business
damn, should have just set my camera phone to f8 rather than buy all that glass

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
slow, limited focal range, overpriced piece of glass
A zoom range of 7.5x is really interesting to me. Its not slow in comparison to the competition, check out the Canon 18-200mm f3.5-f5.6. Price wise, we are heading into Christmas, and this is a new product: if you want to pick it up cheaper, you could wait a few months. Besides, its much cheaper than the RRP prices of lenses like the Canon 18-200mm. Its impossible to have cheap, fast and good: there has to be a compromise.

Last edited by whojammyflip; 11-29-2010 at 01:25 AM.
11-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
damn, should have just set my camera phone to f8 rather than buy all that glass
Hey, let's not start a format war here.
11-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #48

thanks very much for review, it is needed.
And IMHO, comparision of this lens with 50-135 & 60-250 is honour thinking 1/2 to 1/3 price.
But i would wish that 18-135 price would be say 200$ more but IQ is very close to 50-135.
11-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, but I don't like the Sigma bashing based on past years. Have a look at this comparison involving the Pentax 16-50, a Sigma 18-50 and the Tamron 17-50 and tell me the Pentax is the best. It surely doesn't come across like the best at all.
I'm surprised by this test, in particular the softness of the Pentax @ f/2.8. Maybe a bad copy or wrong focusing (not unheard of, even by "pro" reviewers...) ? I'd swear my 16-50mm is sharp at f/2.8 at all focal length at least in the center. That was the Photozone result too BTW.

I have access to a Tamron 17-50mm, I may indulge myself in pixel peeping comparisons...

11-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But isn't the rumour that the newer (cheaper) Pentax AF is more reliable than the old and slow SDM?

Sorry, but I don't like the Sigma bashing based on past years. Have a look at this comparison involving the Pentax 16-50, a Sigma 18-50 and the Tamron 17-50 and tell me the Pentax is the best. It surely doesn't come across like the best at all.
Not my intent to bash Sigma as a brand at all. I own one that I like very much. I am just saying that the Sigma 18-250 is, to my knowledge, a relatively untested product in the Pentax mount. I don't hear much about it on this board, either. I would be far less inclined to send about $500 off for that lens than the DA 18-135, reviewed here. Now, if a test showed it to be equivalent or truly superior, that is another matter.
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I am just saying that the Sigma 18-250 is, to my knowledge, a relatively untested product in the Pentax mount. I don't hear much about it on this board, either. I would be far less inclined to send about $500 off for that lens than the DA 18-135, reviewed here. Now, if a test showed it to be equivalent or truly superior, that is another matter.
SLR Gear tested the Sigma 18-250 in Canon or Nikon mount. It appears to be just a tick below the Tamron 18-250. If the new 18-135 doesn't outperform the Sigma, I'll be shocked.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-29-2010 at 11:31 AM.
11-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #52
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not my intent to bash Sigma as a brand at all. I own one that I like very much. I am just saying that the Sigma 18-250 is, to my knowledge, a relatively untested product in the Pentax mount. I don't hear much about it on this board, either. I would be far less inclined to send about $500 off for that lens than the DA 18-135, reviewed here. Now, if a test showed it to be equivalent or truly superior, that is another matter.
I have the Sigma 18-250 OS HSM. It is a bit better than I expected, but not as good as I had hoped. I have had some really good shots from it, and some that were disappointing. (I have to assume that the good ones were due to my abilities and the not-so-good ones are due to the lens' shortcomings. )
Seriously, the OS doesn't seem as good as the internal stabilization of the body, its focus speed on my K20 is fine, and the IQ is pretty good for a super zoom. That is all purely subjective, but that is my impression. (see my sig line).
The one thing that is not subjective is that, as with other Sigma lenses, it is not identified properly to the camera. The camera thinks it is a 70-200 so when using auto ISO it will let the shutter speed drop to 1/180 before raising ISO instead of holding at 1/250.

I agree with audiobomber. I will be surprised as well if the Pentax doesn't surpass it optically.

11-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #53
Veteran Member

My 18-135 just got here... as others have said, I'm really surprised at how compact it is. Build seems really nice. AF is accurate and about as quick as a comparable screwdrive lens. Makes a quiet humming noise when focusing. Doesn't seem to adjust focus as much as screwdrive lenses. I'll be taking it out for lunch and will hopefully have some photos to show after work.
11-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
My 18-135 just got here... as others have said, I'm really surprised at how compact it is. Build seems really nice. AF is accurate and about as quick as a comparable screwdrive lens. Makes a quiet humming noise when focusing. Doesn't seem to adjust focus as much as screwdrive lenses. I'll be taking it out for lunch and will hopefully have some photos to show after work.
looking forward to it!
11-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

You may get some camera shake from the cold wind we are having.
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #56
Veteran Member

You may get some camera shake from the cold wind we are having.
At least I'll be ok if it starts snowing...
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have the Sigma 18-250 OS HSM. It is a bit better than I expected, but not as good as I had hoped. I have had some really good shots from it, and some that were disappointing. (I have to assume that the good ones were due to my abilities and the not-so-good ones are due to the lens' shortcomings. )
Seriously, the OS doesn't seem as good as the internal stabilization of the body, its focus speed on my K20 is fine, and the IQ is pretty good for a super zoom. That is all purely subjective, but that is my impression. (see my sig line).
The one thing that is not subjective is that, as with other Sigma lenses, it is not identified properly to the camera. The camera thinks it is a 70-200 so when using auto ISO it will let the shutter speed drop to 1/180 before raising ISO instead of holding at 1/250.

I agree with audiobomber. I will be surprised as well if the Pentax doesn't surpass it optically.
Yeah, my Sigma 17-35 also shows up as a Tamron of some other focal length in EXIF.

I would think that the stabilization issues could possibly make a difference in how this lens performs on a Pentax as compared to some other mount. In any case, I like to see a test of a complicated zoom like this in the Pentax mount or hear from others before sending in $500. Adam's test goes a long way toward making the Pentax more attractive.
11-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #58
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

........ Adam's test goes a long way toward making the Pentax more attractive.
It makes it more attractive to me, too.
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It makes it more attractive to me, too.
Fortunately, a walkaround superzoom is not what I need right now. My next lens will be a longish macro--probably a Sigma, coincidentally--with a macro flash. I had so much fun shooting butterflies last September that I got hooked.
11-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm surprised by this test, in particular the softness of the Pentax @ f/2.8.
I was surprised as well, after having heard so much praise for the Pentax 16-50. I thought maybe it is this phenomenon about some Pentax lenses, like the 12-24, that receive tremendous praise from Pentaxians but when evaluated by other people in other mounts (in this case the Tokina 12-24), they are regarded as competent but not out of this world. However, it is quite possible that the comparison I referenced doesn't do the Pentax 16-50 full justice. I'd be interested to see your comparison to the Tamron 17-50.

Not my intent to bash Sigma as a brand at all.
All good then.
And thanks for being easy me regarding my response.

Doesn't seem to adjust focus as much as screwdrive lenses.
That should not depend on the AF drive mechanism of the lens but rather on the AF module of the camera and sometimes the optical properties of the lens.

BTW, I also expect the 18-135 to be better than a 18-250. All I was trying to say that a) it is not a given and b) the Tamron 18-250 is better than the term "super zoom" suggests.