Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Aperture blade repair

Well, interesting story I have 2 lenses, one made by Sears and one by Vivitar... Getting out of the car from a long trip one day I dropped the Sears lens on the ground, it turned out it was just peachy, however the vivitar lens (which is in a case) decided to roll off the car (the case that is) and did about the same thing (only with padding)

Well damage seemed minimal until I got to using the aperture, the ring turns freely, however the blades don't seem to move anymore, its stuck wide open.

This morning I woke up, the aperture was set closed as it could get and the blades were there too, turned the ring, aperture followed, then when it hit max, it stayed there. Me being me I plan to take this Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm apart, but first, anyone have any thoughts on what to look for?

Apparently the blades still somewhat function, if you push the little lever, so maybe their just oily? Any suggestions on cleaning?

Last edited by gsr9987; 11-27-2010 at 02:05 PM.
12-02-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Never put oil in a lens! That is the first thing.
In some lenses the "open metering" lever is a metal arm with a stud that comes into contact with a ring or sliding part in contact with the diaphragm/aperture. A certain shock or thump might cause the stud to jump out of the track it is running inside. The repair would require the disassembly of the mount from the body of the lens jus t to see.