Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Moisture on lens barrel

Hi guys
I wonder if there is someone amongst you who could shed some light on a matter that troubles me.
When I use a WR lens, like the new 18-135mm, when it rains what happens to the water drops that fall on to the extended barrel during zooming. When the barrel retracts from the long zoom position
I would imagine the drops of water are wiped off by some sort of O ring seal. O.k. that takes care of most of the water on the barrel but it won't retract the barrel back into the main housing of the lens completely dry, will it. There has to be still surface moisture on those barrels. On a warm day that will quickly evaporate resulting in increased humidity inside the lens. No good is it. Can anybody comment ?
Greetings from Australia

11-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

G'day Schraubstock!

Isn't the 18-135 an IF lens? If it isn't I would never purchase it as an WR lens, it just does not make sense to have a WR lens thats not IF.

Ray
11-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice to see people asking common sense questions about common sense things...

To answer you, allow me to quote my-self from another closely related topic... :

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
Ok so how bid a difference are the cannikons sealed and the da* sealed lenses
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
It's not about lenses, it's about users... CaNikon users don't run around in circles with an erection about weather-sealing....

Sorry, couldn't resist being sarcastic... I have always found and still finding that Pentax community is way too anal about WR... What people don't understand is that true WR doesn't exist.... Water is the nastiest thing on the planet, no matter how well sealed your sh@t is, water will always find it's way in... You can keep it to the minimum, but the only way to have a true sealing is to have a solid lens barrel with no moving or extending parts (zoom rings, mf rings, af switches) at all... that would be considered fully rain, piss, and dust proof.

So as such, even if your lens is WR'ed... i'd think 10 times before pouring water on it or subjecting it to mud baths... and if it happens for whatever reason, make sure to dry it properly and make sure to do whatever needs to be done to prevent mold growing....

As far as CaNikon's sealing vs Pentax WR goes... I don't see it any different... Just that Nikon is rather discrete about it... People are stupid, if you tell them that their gear is weather-RESISTANT they are gonna start showering with it...

No it's not funny...

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm not attacking anything or anybody... But people should stop taking things for granted... despite the fact that we're living in 2011 (almost), the wheel is still the most advanced piece of technology...
That should give some room for thoughts....
11-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I imagine the o-ring wipers do a pretty good job, especially when they are new. But it may be like a car's windshield wipers, once they wear or get dirt underneath them, water removal performance will degrade over time.

I occasionally used my non-WR Tamron 18-250 in the rain, but used a cloth to remove any droplets from the barrels before winding it back in. Worked fine for 3 years till i gave it to my nephew who is still using it.

A perceptive comment on your part.

11-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am not talking about focusing but the tubes which extend in and out during zooming. The said lens extends to roughly twice its size.
Greetings
11-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks alexeya, I like sarcasm.
Precisely as I imagined but I thought I ask the question in case there is someone missed. But if one understands just basic physics the problem is one that answers it self.
I don't have a WR lens it this stage and I always thought if I ever buy one I will also buy immediately a mackintosh to suit. The showoffs who use their equipment without protection (am talking about camera gear) are just, as we call them in this country, ******s.
Greetings
11-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the WR lenses and DA* lenses, you will not have any pb at all under the circumstances that you mention.

I have the DA18-250mm that is not WR and I have had no problem so far even under the rain.

You are correct that the pumping of the zoom could bring droplets and moisture inside the lens, and I am extremely careful. I wipe regularly the barrel in rainy conditions.

In any case, afterwards, I dry the lens. My prefered method is to place the lens in the sun for a hour for a totally dry lens (not to contaminate the body).

Hope that the comment help....

Last edited by hcc; 11-28-2010 at 12:28 AM.
11-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The rear of the lens is not sealed. That means any moisture will escape from there. Plus Melbourne is really dry in Summer. It's not something I would worry. Just don't store the camera/lens in camera bag which is great for fungus when not in use.

11-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
answers it self.
I don't have a WR lens it this stage and I always thought if I ever buy one I will also buy immediately a mackintosh to suit. The showoffs who use their equipment without protection (am talking about camera gear) are just, as we call them in this country, ******s.
Greetings
I'm sorry, I cannot read your post. It shows up as all ******'s. What are we again?