Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this fungus or something else?

I bought a Pentax SMC-M 400mm 5.6 lens on eBay recently. Of course, the seller stated the glass was free from fungus and clean, but after receiving it and cleaning off the grime, I could see this on one of the inside elements. It is visible when light is shines through from behind and can also be seen when the angle of light from the top is just right. Does this look like fungus to anyone else but me or am I worried about nothing?

Any help or advice you can provide will be much appreciated.

Name:  fungus.jpg
Views: 2994
Size:  122.0 KB

11-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does not look like fungus, but I may be wrong.
11-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

doesnt look like fungus to me. However, I want to say it might be water spots. Like grim or something like that. But I can't be sure. However, it sure doesn't look like fungus. But the only one I've seen are the spider web version perhaps you have an exotic one growing on it. Which means its worth more.
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you both, for your replies. I am starting to feel a little better about it.

11-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It does not look like fungus I had the oportunity to se. But from the pic, upper part of the glas (at 11h) looks like nicked glass?
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
clm

I'm not sure what it is, but I would not call it "clean." Reurning the lens would not be unjustified; it is not as described.
11-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I am considering returning it, but the sellers stated No Returns in the listing, although I haven't contacted him yet. I want to know what I am dealing with first. From what I can see, the glass does not appear to be nicked, just a lot of these amoeba shaped white areas. The large one at the top has what looks like little branches protruding from the right side, although it is not showing that well in the photo. That is why I was concerned. What's strange is the outer glass looks great.
11-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #8

Looks like a fungus/mold of the non-filamentous variety. My guess is that the lens had internal condensation at one point and that might also account for what looks like several water spots.

11-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynthia Quote
Yeah, I am considering returning it, but the sellers stated No Returns in the listing
EBay won't let a seller hide behind a statement like that. If any item is not as described, you can return it with or without the seller's cooperation.
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #10

Ouch, that does not look good.
11-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I know how to deal with the seller. It will just be a pain. With any luck he'll be cooperative. Do you think something like this can be cleaned?
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
clm

It could probably be cleaned, but fungus sometimes etches the lens coatings. You'll have to contact a repair shop and may have to send the lens in to get an estimate.
11-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

See the pic at this link.

Looks similar to the lens you bought. I think it's probably the beginnings of fungus.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
11-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How much you paid for this? does it show in pictures too?
11-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the additional link. After seeing that and review all of the pictures I took of this problem, I am fairly sure it is fungus. I sent several photos to Eric, another forum member, who thinks he should be able to clean it. This would be the easiest solution since I would like to have a lens in this range. I paid more than I should have for a lens with fungus, but not as much as I would have if it were in mint condition. The seller seems willing to work with me, though so this should not be a big issue. I don't think he realized the fungus was there since it was hidden beneath a layer of grime.

The pictures look great and don't seem to be affected by this one bit. I did some test shots using a page of small text across the room, and the clarity surprised me considering the condition and the focal length.

Oh, the things we do to support our LBA.