Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

FA 28mm/2.8 focus ring

Hi,
this is my first post here, but I have been following the group for the some time, now.
I woul'd appreciate some advise on the following: few years ago I bought for cheap a SH FA28/2.8 with fillter thread broken by previous owner. This didn't prevent lens to operate OK and it showed some amazing performance stopped down a bit (even from 3.2 on while 2.8 pictures are awful). Back to the point: lately the focus ring is hard to rotate and even the camera (k20d) has a problem to rotate the ring and achieve a proper focus. Even in MF, the focus ring has resistance one shold put a force to move it. Since I like the FL of the lens, I would like to have it ready to shoot, but wonder is there any reasonable (read no expensive) way to fix this? Or should I look the DA35/2.4?

Thanks,
Neven

11-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what is causing your exact issue. These lenses aren't quick shift and it isn't good to try mf when the camera is set to AF. Take it off the camera and operate the mf ring. Put it back on the camera and operate the lens in af for a while. Set the camera to mf and then try to mf. However, it sounds as if this lens may need to go for a service. You may consider emailing Eric Hendrickson and see if he will take a look at it.

http://pentaxs.com/

He generally doesn't like to do AF lenses, but this one he may consider but you will have to email him first.
11-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
nev

Original Poster
Thanks, Blue.

I didn't try to force to move FA lens' MF ring when in AF. It has stiff rotation "in air", so to speak. Will consider have it serviced.

Thanks,
Neven