Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can DA 14mm use the DA12-24mm Lens Hood?

I just picked up a used DA 14mm, but it is missing the hood (part no. PH-RBH).

I checked ebay, B&H, Adorama and Pentax Imaging, but none of them seem to even list this part no., never mind stock it...

Does anybody know if the lens hood for the DA 12-24mm (part no. PH-RBI77) will fit on the DA 14mm bayonet? It does seem to be more readily available.

Thanks!

11-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried it on mine. the DA 12-24 hood does not fit on the DA 14 (nor does the RBJ hood from the DA*16-50 either. One aspect of the the DA14 hood is that the hood petals are not a long as either of the other hoods. Sorry.
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I just tried it on mine. the DA 12-24 hood does not fit on the DA 14 (nor does the RBJ hood from the DA*16-50 either. One aspect of the the DA14 hood is that the hood petals are not a long as either of the other hoods. Sorry.
+1

If I remember correctly though the 12-24 and 16-50 hood bayonets are the same though one is slightly deeper than the other. Neither fits the DA14 though. You're probably going to have to find an aftermarket for it (can't help you there)..

11-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks and you remember correctly.

11-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #5

I think I found it...

77mm LENS Hood for PENTAX smcP DA 14mm f/2.8 ED AL (IF) - eBay (item 310266569352 end time Nov-29-10 12:34:55 PST)

on EBAY
for the DA 14 2.8
~lates
11-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
+1

If I remember correctly though the 12-24 and 16-50 hood bayonets are the same though one is slightly deeper than the other. Neither fits the DA14 though. You're probably going to have to find an aftermarket for it (can't help you there)..

Thanks both for checking and your quick replies, much appreciated.

Ya, I saw another thread where somebody had accidentally interchanged the 12-24 and 16-50 hoods (causing mysterious square vignetting on the 12-24), so I was hoping that all three lenses had the same bayonet.
11-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
+1

This did come up when I checked ebay for the original hood. It looks the same as this Bower hood at B&H. Looks like a pain in the butt as you have to screw on the bayonet adapter, then lock it down with a collar in the correct position, then put the hood on. And unlike the original Pentax hood, you can't use the lens cap while it's in place.

Here is a clip-on 77m petal shaped hood. Looks easy to swap on and off, but conversely wouldn't trust it for any impact protection.
11-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Inactive Account

You might try going directly through Pentax but I doubt it will be cheap. I always kept track of my DA14 hood because it was the only one missing the CPL window. The hood for the DA*16-50 is slightly deeper than the one for the 12-24 but it's still easy to mix them up. At this point, I would probably go with a rubber retractable hood though it doesn't offer much protection either. Since the lens is not a zoom, there's no real need for a tulip type hood. Just one wide enough (and with a thin enough mount) not to cause vignetting.

11-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You might try going directly through Pentax but I doubt it will be cheap. I always kept track of my DA14 hood because it was the only one missing the CPL window. The hood for the DA*16-50 is slightly deeper than the one for the 12-24 but it's still easy to mix them up. At this point, I would probably go with a rubber retractable hood though it doesn't offer much protection either. Since the lens is not a zoom, there's no real need for a tulip type hood. Just one wide enough (and with a thin enough mount) not to cause vignetting.

I'm ok with going through Pentax because I when I bought it, I was able to negotiate enough of a discount to offset the full cost for a replacement hood. That said, I didn't expect it would be such an elusive item to find.

I beg to differ, I think the tulip hood is more critical for a wide lens, regardless of whether it is fixed or part of a zoom. If you look at the tulip design of the DA14's hood, a non-tulip round hood for it can only be as deep as the corners of the cut-outs on the tulip, which is about half the depth of the deeper petals of the hood which are what provide the bulk of the shade from overhead light sources.
11-30-2010, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
I'm ok with going through Pentax because I when I bought it, I was able to negotiate enough of a discount to offset the full cost for a replacement hood. That said, I didn't expect it would be such an elusive item to find.
Would you like to drop me an email and I can ask our used department to see if they have one? (we have over 25,000 pieces in the warehouse, so not everything gets listed - it's certainly worth a shot: HelenO@adorama.com
11-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Would you like to drop me an email and I can ask our used department to see if they have one? (we have over 25,000 pieces in the warehouse, so not everything gets listed - it's certainly worth a shot: HelenO@adorama.com
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll follow up by email.