Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Macro Photography !!(Pic Heavy)

I custom paint fishing baits part time and as a hobby, getting the best picture of them I can so that people wanting to look at them can see all of the detail. This is my first batch of lures I photograghed with my pentax kx. I took these in macro mode with the 18-55 lense. I think they turned out pretty nice, but I am sure I could have done even better with some of yalls advice. Any advise is welcomed .

Bluegill with small scales

Same bluegill image without the small scales

Winter Gill

Summer Gill

Here are the crappie :
Black Crappie

Crappie

Pumkinseed

Pumkinseed Two

Gizzard Shad with scales

Here is a couple of regular airbrushed lures:
Citrus Shad

Spanky

11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing about those "fish" - they stay where you can snap their pictures. Good depth of field throughout.
11-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Love the pics and subject is my other passion great looking lures
11-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Either take the pictures in sun, or take them in the shade, not half of both. Also, the exposures are off on most of them.

Good looking lures though!

Last edited by yeatzee; 11-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
11-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice looking lures.
11-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Either take the pictures in sun, or take them in the shade, not half of both. Also, the exposures are off on most of them.

Good looking lures though!

It seems as if I take them in full sun, it puts to much shine on the clearcoat to be able to see the bait clearly. I also thought of using a tripod next time I shoot them, would that help the exposures? When I get a chance, I will post some pics in full sun.

Thats why I posted these here, I knew someone would have something for me to get the best shots possible.

Thanks Guys for the comments on the baits !!
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take them in the sun at noon with a lightbox and tripod or rig a white loose weave sheet overhead to soften the light. The background is too busy for me to enjoy your painting. Maybe remove some of the objects?

11-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The lures look beautifully done! I agree with other replies...lighting is uneven, background/surroundings are distracting, a couple out of focus.

Try this:

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

The results really come out looking professional when using it (you don't need flashes even, you can use desk lamps on either side)

Here's one I did using this setup with a cheap sheet of white plexi (I used CF lamps on both sides, then tinted it blue in processing):

Blue #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think this setup can give you professional results and really show off your work (lure-making AND photography). And yes, use a tripod for this kind of work.
11-29-2010, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all of your information !! Next time I get to paint, I will post a few pics using yall advise and see the difference. I really appreciate your help !
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #10

Nice looking lures BigBassMan :-)

some ideas:

Might be a good idea to try taking some (or all) of the random stuff away from the background and see if it's any better. Too much different stuff in the picture usually distracts the eye from the main subject. Good background surfaces what I could think of might be (old grey)wood or stone.

example I found: Dan Routh Photography: More Fishing (the lower pic)
12-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My experience with macro was that I was never really happy with my macro photos until I started using a tripod. Camera shake is magnified by close-up shots, and to get enough depth of field one often needs to stop down a fair bit.

The other advice above for evening out exposure and removing distracting items is also good. I find the kit lens is not its sharpest in the macro range, although 1:3 is nice; a manual 50 on some extension tubes can be a nice upgrade.