Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
Igilligan

Hey Regken... congrats

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I had an interesting thing happen the other night. I waited till the end of an auction and bid on a lens with less than a minute left. At 30 secs I was high bidder. Then bid a 1.01 more than me. When I went to rebid I was somehow logged off of ebay. By the time I logged back in the bidding had ended. It had never happened before... I did not log out. And I still had the active bidding page up on my computer until I bid...
Is there some program that people have that can do that? Log someone out to block bidding?
It was just very strange.
gus
Hey you just got that 100mm 2.8... good job... Actually the .11 bid that you lost the other day was the same one auction where I was somehow logged off... ummhhh.
Well at least I wont be bidding against you for a 100mm any more.
gus

09-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No other program can cause ebay to log you off.

What could happen is a) you don't have your browser save your login info (allow ebay keep you logged on) and b) You didn't have any browser activity for several minutes and it timed out on you.

I frequently refresh to make sure the page doesn't time out on me. I also have my browser keep me logged in. To make logins quicker should I get logged out, I use a password keeper application (Roboform), which allows me to log in with one click.

Not that it's any consolation, but if someone bid $1.01 higher than you, it probably means they bid at least 5 dollars over that. Had you bid 2, you would have been outbid anyway.
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry about that!

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hey you just got that 100mm 2.8... good job... Actually the .11 bid that you lost the other day was the same one auction where I was somehow logged off... ummhhh.
Well at least I wont be bidding against you for a 100mm any more.
gus
Hi Gus,

I paid more than I wanted to but got tired of messing around. This one should be fun to play around with. I'll post a photo after I get it.

Thanks,

Ken
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

eBay Sniping

To answer one of your questions, Auction Sentry works. (There are probably others but that's the one I can vouch for.) That said, you still have to establish what you are willing to pay for an item and let the sniping tool enter it. You may still lose by $0.11 if some other bidder is willing to go higher and gets a bid in. You also need to be familiar with how eBay increments bids to make sure you don't get caught between.

Some suggestions if you're getting frustrated: There are other marketplaces besides eBay. Try posting a WTB on the marketplace here or contacting some of the reputable used equipment stores. They often have more inventory than they advertise and/or have a network they can tap into for specific items. Check your local pawn shops and thrift shops if you're looking for an older lens.

Remember patience is always a virtue in a hunt.... Good luck
Dave

09-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #20
Igilligan

I could not have timed out...

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
No other program can cause ebay to log you off.

What could happen is a) you don't have your browser save your login info (allow ebay keep you logged on) and b) You didn't have any browser activity for several minutes and it timed out on you.

I frequently refresh to make sure the page doesn't time out on me. I also have my browser keep me logged in. To make logins quicker should I get logged out, I use a password keeper application (Roboform), which allows me to log in with one click.

Not that it's any consolation, but if someone bid $1.01 higher than you, it probably means they bid at least 5 dollars over that. Had you bid 2, you would have been outbid anyway.
As I said I was actively bidding in the last minute of the auction. And I do refresh to watch the time... so I dont think there is anyway I timed out.
It was just very strange... I am glad to know there is no attack program that can log me off... but I still have no idea what happened.
Thanks for puttin' my mind at ease...
-gus-
09-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically nobody uses ebay in this country, it tried and failed. We mostly use Trade Me, originally a home grown outfit. If anyone bids in the last 2 minutes of an auction, the auction extends another 2 minutes, just like a real auction, it can keep extending and extending. So the auction can go way past the original close time, good for the seller and stops this sniping.
09-27-2007, 11:55 PM   #22
jro

I use jBidWatcher to snipe auctions. It's free and open source. It's written in java so it runs on any platform. It runs on your own PC rather than on a server somewhere else, which is either a positive or negative depending on your perspective.

Sniping is necessary because ebay is dumb. It's obvious that people will re-evaluate the worth of something when they see what someone else thinks it's worth. Why they can't just use some form of going, going, gone auction is beyond me. That would insure that ebay (and the seller) get the most money, and the buyer willing to pay the most gets the item.
09-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jro Quote
I use jBidWatcher to snipe auctions. It's free and open source. It's written in java so it runs on any platform. It runs on your own PC rather than on a server somewhere else, which is either a positive or negative depending on your perspective.
Thanks, that is interesting. I am leary of online sniping tools since, because they have to bid on my behalf, I would have to give them my ebay account password. Similarly with programs you download - how do you know that they do not 'phone home' with your details? I was going to write my own (I am a .NET developer) but it is always simpler to use code someone else has written <g>. JBidwatch is open source, so I can check to make sure it is doing only what it says it is doing. (Yeah, yeah, I know I sound paranoid about this sort of thing, but since security programming is my job, I have to be.)

QuoteOriginally posted by jro Quote
Sniping is necessary because ebay is dumb. It's obvious that people will re-evaluate the worth of something when they see what someone else thinks it's worth. Why they can't just use some form of going, going, gone auction is beyond me. That would insure that ebay (and the seller) get the most money, and the buyer willing to pay the most gets the item.
Yes, that's true. Also I wonder why they have to stick to the time limit. If there is a bidding war then it is in the seller's benefit (and hence ebay) for the bids to continue (this is how auction houses work). So why not have a time limit, but if there is a bid within, say, 5 minutes of the limit extend the limit by another 10 minutes? In terms of consumer items (like a lens) I have my limit and keep to it because I know that 1) there is an amount where I can buy the item new from a reputable shop or 2) someone else will sell something similar in a few days.

10-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I've lost a few lenses lately to snipers and am wondering if it is worth it to become a sniper. Last night I lost by $.11! There seems to be a lot of these snipping programs out there. Is there one that is better than the others? Is it worth doing? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

You need to work out *exactly* what is your maximum price you are willing to pay and enter that as your bid. When I mean *exactly*, I mean if you are upset by losing a bid by $0.11, then your maximum bid should have been at least $0.11 more than you did bid. If you were prepared to go higher than you did bid, then you didn't put in your maximum bid.

When bidding for something on Ebay, you need to enter in your maximum bid and be done with it. Your bid will only ever get to this maximum bid *if* another bidder bids to near your mark. Example;

Say you want to bid to an absolute *maximum* of $100 for a particular item. You should enter $100 as your bid, but you will only have to pay $100 *if* the next bidder enters a bid of say $95. However, if the next nearest bidder opts for a bid of $55, then you will only pay $60, not the $100 of your maximum bid. The other bidder will find that when he/she bids the $55, EBay will ask that he/she bids to a higher amount as the $55 bid was not enough, but that bid will be entered and *your* bid will automatically be set to the next nearest amount which is $60 keeping you in front all the time until the maximum $100 is reached only if the other bidder decides to go that high. You may actually win it for the $60 if the other bidder refuses to go higher than $55.

This is a beautiful system as you know exactly how much your maximum will be for that item and that you are safe in the knowledge that you may get it for much less if the other bidders do not bid to that amount.

So, the idea is to get it straight in your mind the *absolute maximum* that you want to spend on an item and put that as your bid. Your bid will not go any higher than that maximum, but you may get it for less if the other bidders do not reach that amount.
10-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
When bidding for something on Ebay, you need to enter in your maximum bid and be done with it. Your bid will only ever get to this maximum bid *if* another bidder bids to near your mark. Example;
I agree with this and if everyone went with their absolute MAX then no one would need to snipe.. but they don't always, so I put in my absolute maximum 5 seconds before the auction ends..
10-12-2007, 03:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I pretty much never snipe, and most bids I put in are several hours before auctions close. Of course, this means that I quite often get sniped, but I try not to lose to much sleep over it. There is an awful lot of Pentax stuff on ebay, and I know that if I just do another search more will be on the auction block. Sometimes it takes a while, but I have too much else on my mind to worry about it.

That said, one strategy that has worked several times is this: if the maximum I am willing to pay is $80, I'll put in $81 as my bid. People naturally think in round numbers, so if someone else's max amount was also $80, I'll win. If someone else's was $90, I wouldn't have won anyway because I wasn't willing to pay that much.