Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

???Kiron/Vivitar/Lester A Dine 105mm Macro Lens???

Hi,
So I recently bought a K20D with the kit lens, and am going to be purchasing a macro lens very soon.
I've concluded that I want a Kiron 105mm f2.8 (or one of its identical variations) based on very good reviews and affordability.

However! I hear that certain lenses are better made than others based on the manufacturer. I have been reading all over the place and can't seem to get this straight.

As far as the Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 I read the ones with serial number beginning with 22 are good, the others not so great.

Could someone please clear this up for me--are all 3 versions of this lens identical? If not, which ones are the good ones and which aren't?? I see a few of these up on ebay and don't know what I should go for.

Thanks!

11-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Save $100+ and grab the Kiron badged rather then Vivitar Series 1 badged lens.
11-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Forestman Quote
Hi,
So I recently bought a K20D with the kit lens, and am going to be purchasing a macro lens very soon.
I've concluded that I want a Kiron 105mm f2.8 (or one of its identical variations) based on very good reviews and affordability.

However! I hear that certain lenses are better made than others based on the manufacturer. I have been reading all over the place and can't seem to get this straight.

As far as the Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 I read the ones with serial number beginning with 22 are good, the others not so great.

Could someone please clear this up for me--are all 3 versions of this lens identical? If not, which ones are the good ones and which aren't?? I see a few of these up on ebay and don't know what I should go for.

Thanks!
All the variations of this lens are made by Kino Presicion (Kiron). There is some cosmetic differences and perhaps different coatings but the optical layout is the same. Some versions have a retractable hood. So all the Vivitar versions of this lens have the serial starting with 22. Vivitar also sold this same lens as 2.8/100mm macro and later as Vivitar Series 1 2.5/105mm.

There is also different Vivitar macro's in 90mm and also a 3.5/100mm but they are from different makers and maybe good but not the same.

Also I'd prefer the PK-A mount version with electric contacts for ease of use. I think there's some variations of this lens with plain K-mount also
11-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #4

Hi,

Just to clarify - once upon a time Vivitar used serial numbers where the first two digits indicated the manufacturer.
22xxxxxx = Kino (Kiron)
28xxxxxx = Komine
37xxxxxx = Tokina
etc
see here:
Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

As you have already researched, this amazing lens comes in a number of identities:
- Kiron 105mm f2.8
- Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8
- Vivitar 100mm f2.8 (22xxxxxx serial)
- Vivitar Series 1 105mm F2.5 (22xxxxxx serial)

The optical formula (6 elements / 6 groups) and lens design is the same for all versions. As pointed out, there are differences in coatings, markings, and hood design (if it has one). It should be noted that while there may be "marketed" differences in focal length and f-stop - it is supposedly the exact same lens in each instance. The Vivitar Series 1 version was the last version to be made and therefore might benefit from more recent multi-coating developments.

11-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the clear reply tumble