Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replace Sigma 18-125 with Pentax 18-135?

I already have the Sigma DC 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 HSM zoom. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to replace it with the new Pentax 18-135. I can think of four advantages:
  • Weather-resistance
  • Quick-shift focus
  • The Famous Pentax Color rendering, though I hear the new lens has some CA/PF issues and the Sigma has none.
  • The pleasure of just owning Pentax stuff, which I confess to. I know, I'm weak.

So if you were in my place, would you sell the Sigma and spring for the Pentax, or just keep the Sigma and smugly think about how you didn't pay as much for it?

If you know of any other advantages of switching, however minor, I'd be interested to hear.

11-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
10mm more range :P

I guess it depends on how happy you are with your Sigma, how much you would get if you sold it and how much you would like to have a weather sealed lens.
11-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep the Sigma; don't look back

Unless you're really not happy with it in which case you would have got rid of it long ago, so I don't think that that is the case.
12-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Keep the Sigma; don't look back

Unless you're really not happy with it in which case you would have got rid of it long ago, so I don't think that that is the case.
+1

So many lenses, so little time

you could go UWA like a 10-20, fast like an f1.4, or long. When i feel like my photos are getting stale, its nice changing lenses for awhile. based on your use of the Sigma, what kind of photos do you most like to take? what interests you? Can you see yourself doing volunteer work for some non-profit, or trying to make a profit from some sort of work yourself - if so, what kind of lens would that require.

I don't need to know the answers to those questions, but it helps in defining what lenses to buy to have a goal in mind. IMO

12-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good advice from experienced Pentaxians.

In my opinion, I would not bother to change lens for so little focal length range difference (only 10 mm), unless you absolutely need a WR all-around length that you will use heavily during your next trip/adventure.

Instead, I would recommend to save the money and consider to invest in some prime lenses.

Your sigma lens, like every zoom lens, is a compromise over the focal length range. In comparison, a prime lens (ie single focal length) is optimised and will give you, typically, a much better IQ for the same price. Many Pentaxians have a series of lens incl. zoom lense and prime lenses. The IQ of some prime lenses is extraordinary and you can be easily hooked.

Hope that the comment will help....
12-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Buy the Pentax, that is good for our brand. You can send the sigma to my homeadress, I will be thankfull for your great kindness.