Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #16
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
As far as I'm aware, there are no perfect lenses...
There are 2 which I think are as perfect as it gets on K mount: FA31ltd AL and K(A)50/1.2. Both of these are sharp and. Both of these outdo any other 50/55/40/43/30/35/28 lens I've seen.
My 2p

11-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
axl
Inactive Account

To express my opinion:
I used to have DA40 and loved it. Gave me many great shots, few PPG accepted too. But: I think it's bit too small, I didn't like the hood/cap arrangement and MF is not the best.
So I sold it (and regretably my F50/1.7 too) to get FA43. Now, 43 is slower to focus, with hood is quite a bit bigger, and suffers more from CAs. On the other side, 1 stop difference matters in DOF (if you like shallow dof and know how to use it to your advantage) and as well when you use older bodies like K10D. The MF is much better and the lens is sharper. The sharpness is not as evenly distributed as on DA40 but at ANY comparable f stop FA is sharper or as sharp in center and edge than DA. This turns around f8-11 where the DA gains levels up and maybe gains slight edge. One thing I like about 43 is the rendering. The images have perfect feel, great contrast and very nice rendering. The DA is more surgical I'd say, it's pretty much true to life but lacks that little bit of something. With all FA series lenses I've tried I found that they have very warm glow with great contrast to it. And that's something DAs just can't match IMO as good lenses as they are...

My2p
11-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Not this one again. Have you tried searching the forums? This question gets asked frequently and regularly. Last time around 2-3 weeks ago or so and it sparked (relatively) heated debate and exchanges between both camps. I took part in that one and will try to post link later on....
Whenever I see these repeat threads, I think we need an FAQ with links. There are a number of questions that seem to come up almost weekly.
11-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Whenever I see these repeat threads, I think we need an FAQ with links. There are a number of questions that seem to come up almost weekly.
As I recall, it came down to "if you have money buy the FA 43." If not, the DA 40 is pretty nice as well.

11-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As I recall, it came down to "if you have money buy the FA 43." If not, the DA 40 is pretty nice as well.
Or be completely indecisive like me: (which I am not actually recommending)

I originally bought the 40 about a year ago. Then sold it earlier this spring and bought a new 43. Then I sold the 43 this summer and pruchased a new 40 with the almost expired rebate card that came with my K-7. Then, after taking one too many looks at the FA limited thread, I went ahead and rebought the 43 last night

Bottom line, they're both great lenses, each with slightly different strengths (as people in this threads, and many other threads) have pointed out.

Last edited by dgaies; 11-30-2010 at 08:45 AM.
11-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is really a huge matter of opinion with varied results. I am neutral. I tend to like both DA and FA lenses for different purposes. That gets expensive, though.
11-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
axl
Inactive Account

I would agree on this one. There is a few questions (such as 43 vs 40, 77 vs 70, which macro in 100mm region, which WA/UWA etc) that do seem to come up almost weekly. Problem is that all the time there is new(ish) member who has to express his/her opinion and then it triggers off lengthy debate. I swear 40 vs 43 must have generated quite a few multiple pages threads which are pretty much all the same. So yes FAQs would be nice to have IMO
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
So yes FAQs would be nice to have IMO
I think an FAQ the general differences between the DA 40/70 (tessar) and FA 43/77 (planar) lenses would be ideal. They really do render quite differently, and a discussion on the merits of each lens type would likely help a lot of people make their decisions.

The points of comparison between the 40 and 43 actually pretty much directly apply for the 70 and 77, which I believe derives from their wildly different optical designs, and hence, differing renderings.

Sound familiar?

"Tessar (invented 1900's) are frequently found in mid-range cameras, as they can provide a very good optical performance at a reasonable price, and are often quite compact. They are also ... provide more contrast than many competing lens designs due to the limited number of air-to-glass surfaces."

vs.

"Planar: (Invented 1940's) Very sharp... In the 1950s, when effective anti-reflective lens coatings became available, coated Planars were produced with much-improved flare control. These lenses performed very well as normal and medium-long focus lenses for small and medium format cameras."

Last edited by paperbag846; 11-30-2010 at 02:14 PM.
12-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest benefit of the FAQ would be to clue new users in to the fact that this has been discussed in prior threads and keep the threads from multiplying. If users were referred to older threads, then we could cut down on repeats of the same posts.
12-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #25
Site Supporter

It is really a huge matter of opinion with varied results. I am neutral. I tend to like both DA and FA lenses for different purposes. That gets expensive, though.
I agree!

Reaching that conclusion was, shall we say, "colorful."